Main Menu

Which year is this V5X molding?

Started by Skdmark, September 26, 2020, 04:54:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

So my '71 Barracuda with a SPD of 812 has some '70 specific parts on it due to the early build.

Am I correct in that the V5X body side moldings pictures are the '70 version?
These moldings are held on by clips vs the adhesive mounted ones that followed?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

cuda hunter

I'm very curious to know the difference.

1970's had pin stripping around the mouldings from what I understand. 

Also, at least in 70 there were both long and short v5 mouldings on barracuda's.  Not challengers. 
I'm not sure if the shorties transferred into 71. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70/6chall

Skdmark, hate to tell you this, but it is not factory but after market. Reason I know this is because I have the same vinyl side strip on my '70 Challenger. After I bought my Dodge I happen to notice there was this guy that was going from dealership to dealership applying this side molding on cars that the dealership had ordered and instructed him to put on. This stuff is not glued on like the factory molding but screwed on with little small sheet metal screws.mine is also the extruded alum channel with the vinyl strip that comes in rolls and is cut to channel length and slid into it. I paid this guy $10.00 per side his company was Hollywood Deco trim, you could get the vinyl in different colors, I like it because it juts out further than the factory trim. I have the black vinyl like you do except decided to have the channel powder coated in a satin black. I had it put on in 1975 and to this day not one dent or ding mark the side of my car. Max protection. Thanks,   Al

6bblgt

I agree, those are aftermarket mouldings

@Skdmark what '70 specific parts are you finding?

Quote from: cuda hunter on September 26, 2020, 07:18:19 PM
..... Also, at least in 70 there were both long and short v5 mouldings on barracuda's.  Not challengers. 

@cuda hunter    what are you referring to as "long" VS. "short for '70 Barracuda V5_ mouldings?

Skdmark

Thanks for the feedback.
With them being aftermarket and no longer the original, I guess it won't feel guilty if I remove them down the road.

Re: The 70 specific parts.
So far, the trunk pan with the shock access holes on top and the console.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

cuda hunter

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 26, 2020, 09:10:02 PM
I agree, those are aftermarket mouldings

@Skdmark what '70 specific parts are you finding?

Quote from: cuda hunter on September 26, 2020, 07:18:19 PM
..... Also, at least in 70 there were both long and short v5 mouldings on barracuda's.  Not challengers. 

@cuda hunter    what are you referring to as "long" VS. "short for '70 Barracuda V5_ mouldings?

I've seen several pictures of shorter v5x moldings.  But they are only on the 70's.  I'll see if I can find any that I have saved.  Perhaps they were aftermarket but I recall someone saying they were original to the car. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

This picture I have is on a 2-4 though.
That's pretty much what the other pictures I have look like also.
I apparently did not name the pictures I have so it will take a few to find.

cuda hunter

Oh, and I'm not claiming anything on those shorties.  I'm just trying to find some information on them. 

70/6chall

Skdmark, here's a pic from the way back showing the guys on the assy. line with an e-body. It does show the factory side molding. Now you can see the difference. Thanks,   Al

70/6chall

Two more showing a K2 hued e-body with factory side moulding and the rear 1/4 panel of my K2 hued e-body showing the after market side moulding. Thanks,   Al

Skdmark

Thanks for the pics. Nice reference. I had not seen that assembly line one before.
-Harlan Ellison

cuda hunter

Here's a couple pics of some v5x
the yellow one just shows the pin striping around where the v5x would have been.
the challenger in fk5 appears to have plastic inserts inside of holes for the v5x.
the 71 russet se challenger has the v5x with the front chrome of which I thought was not available together.

cuda hunter

And here is some v5R with the red pin stripping around it. 

anlauto

You can't compare 1970 Cuda body side moldings to 1970 Challenger body side moldings....They are totally different. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but since it has been determined that skdmark's moldings are aftermarket I'm just throwing out pictures of this option while there are folks paying attention to this very lowly liked option.