Main Menu

Whole car Vinyl wrap - let's see them!

Started by ClarkWGrizwald, August 19, 2019, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ClarkWGrizwald

Anyone wrap their car? I have searched and didnt come up with much. 
Although golden haze matallic may have been popular in the 70s....its not so much now.  Any since painting an entire car is a slippery slope that can get $ out $ of $ hand $ quickly....im planning a Vinyl wrap. It will preserve the originality of the NOT oh-so-collectable rust free 74 that i have. And with flat panels Damn near everywhere, it outta be pretty easy to wrap. Except for the  roof to C pillar to rear quarter. The Vinyl only comes in 60" wide rolls so there will have to be a seam or 2 to cover that area. Looking to see what others have done in that area as well as colors, finishes and graphics choices.

Im planning an AAR tribute with the rear spoiler, side exhaust, strobe stripe and blacked out hood. Leaning towards a silver/ grey/ charcoal color for the rest .

Im going to have to remove the optional door / fender bumper guards and probably fill those holes somehow in a semi permanent / reversible way before wrapping it. 

My inspiration :

Any tips or advice based on experience?
Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

GoodysGotaCuda

Just as a personal preference, wraps always seem to lack the look of quality and a finished car to me. I can see it, if you went for a retro or sponsored car look that I have seen, but trying to pass it as a finished car and a long term finish seems like a stretch.

What would you do under the hood and in all of the door jambs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ClarkWGrizwald

I have an extra rallyhood. It is black on the underside already. The door jams will be wrapped. The engine bay will not be. As it is just a cruiser car. I'm totally okay with it not being perfect or show-quality I'm simply looking for a color change temporarily. If I really love how it looks then perhaps that's what I will paint it in the future. And at a price point of below $1,000 total I'm not expecting a Riddler Award winner. I just want a car to cruise around in and have fun with. Wraps have come a long way in the last couple years and have many different types of finishes glass flat matte etcetera. The ability to stretch them shape them smooth them has really come along and it's much easier to work with. My limiting factor will be the current condition of the body with regard to chips and dings. And I'm totally fine with chips and dings it is a driver car. I just like to have a driver car that's not gold LOL

70 Challenger Lover

I toyed with this idea before and I too always come back to what I want in the end result. I think if I was going for more of a sponsored race car look, that would probably hit the mark perfectly but in a regular street driven muscle car, I'd prefer that it either look professionally painted or have its original ratty paint still showing.

ClarkWGrizwald

One nice thing about vinyl...if you don't like it, pull it off and you have not messed anything up! No harm no foul.

I do agree , the factory trans am or sponsored car look is pretty cool. My 318 just doesn't have the bite to match the bark! Nor does the boat like handling come anywhere near the race car performance.

Cudakiller70

I see a nice plus for a wrap. At car shows some people have no idea as they try and lean on your car or their dog with a big spiked collar starts jumping around or the baby stroller gets to close or..... For a driver this would be nice not to stress about paint. I like it.

YellowThumper

If located in SoCal .this is a place that can help.
You are correct, wraps have come a long way in recent years.
Quality wraps can last for years.

This place is go to place for the Honda Center. Anaheim Ducks Hockey. They have wrapped race cars, buses, trains  etc...
My Wife works accounting office.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

In the correct application I think wrap is a cool way to go. For the price you can change it after a few years too.
Sheldon

anlauto

:iagree: My neighbour just bought a Corvette convertible dirt cheap because it needed a paint job....Instead he spent like $3K to have it wrapped in some sort of custom satin met blue.....thing looks like a million bucks now.....I'm sure he'll double up easy on it. :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Years still watched them wrap a new challenger in Carlisle with a snake skin wrap. Looked pretty cool. Coming up with the right type of wrap would be the hard part if you want it to look really nice. Body work still has to be good. I thought about it too. I don't mind doing body work. It's the cut and buff that i hate.

dave73

FWIW, I don't think any of the cars you posted in your original post are wrapped? That being said, wraps have their place. But it isn't exactly a "cheap way out". A buddy around here got quotes for a newer car and they were in the 3-5k range.

ClarkWGrizwald

I Don't know if any were wrapped. They were just paint scheme ideas.
Yes it's is a few thousand to have it wrapped but im going to wrap it myself. The actual cost of the wrap is under $1000. It does take like 15 to 20 hours to do by yourself but these cars are Damn near all flat panels and easy to get to the underside so outta go well.  My neighbor wraps cars so im gonna pick his brain and may even get some assistance/ coaching on the install. Things like which color/ sheen covers/ hides body imperfections better, or which brand material is better than another in a particular sheen. Experience people outta be a good resource for suggestions.