Main Menu

Wide windshield trim

Started by Aar1064, July 06, 2017, 11:54:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Aar1064

I remember removing the wide stainless trim at bottom of windshield while disassembling. It had black urethane randomly placed underneath it. Not sure I want to install the same way and was hoping on some insight as to what is normally done when installing. Just bolt her on and be happy or add something underneath.

Oh and does anyone have pics of the original screw that holds the left and right lower transition corner trim pieces.

Getting close.  :banana: :banana:

Cuda Cody

I just bolt them on and go.  If they don't fit right I normally fix that before I polish them.  Wonder if the adhesive was a way to keep them down or if it sealed something?

I can try to get you a photo of the bolts when I get home.  I remember some are different then others.

Cuda Cody

Barry took this photo of a T/A.  Hope it helps.

Burdar

The stuff the factory used to install the windshield got very messy sometimes.  My A-pillar trim was stuck to that stuff when it oozed out of the windshield channel.  I could see how it could ooze out onto the back side of that stainless piece as well.  I don't think the factory used anything behind the stainless to hold it in place but I think they should have.  My drivers side windshield wiper arm wore a groove into the stainless because it didn't sit flush like it should have.

Aar1064

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 06, 2017, 12:19:33 PM
Barry took this photo of a T/A.  Hope it helps.

I have the bolts that hold the trim on but I can't find the two screws that are used on the two corner trim pieces. I'm thinking chrome counter sink Phillips.

I don't think the urethane I removed was intentional but rather as @Burdar said, just run off from windshield.

I'm wondering what others do?

Aar1064

Quote from: Burdar on July 06, 2017, 01:47:59 PM
The stuff the factory used to install the windshield got very messy sometimes.  My A-pillar trim was stuck to that stuff when it oozed out of the windshield channel.  I could see how it could ooze out onto the back side of that stainless piece as well.  I don't think the factory used anything behind the stainless to hold it in place but I think they should have.  My drivers side windshield wiper arm wore a groove into the stainless because it didn't sit flush like it should have.

I agree. Maybe I'll figure out something to use or just let ride.

Burdar

The corner trim should use a chrome Philips head screw with a built-in washer on the head. It's not tapered/counter sunk.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on July 06, 2017, 01:47:59 PM

:iagree:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Aar1064

Quote from: Burdar on July 06, 2017, 06:52:14 PM
The corner trim should use a chrome Philips head screw with a built-in washer on the head. It's not tapered/counter sunk.

I'm assuming similar to the door glass rubber channel screws but smaller and chrome. Wonder where these can be sourced?

340challconvert

Hey Aar
I am in a similar position.  Just cleaned up the windshield track after removing the old, original windshield and am ready to install the new windshield and surrounding chrome.

When I removed the wide base chrome strip from the bottom, I found very little window sealer except under the two L shaped chrome pieces at the bottom corners.  There was so much in this area that the clip on the back of the molding stayed on the car on one side. I have mixed feelings about putting some sort of sealer under this piece, but I am waiting to see how it lays down after the windshield is in.
I will also try to take a pic of the screws that secure the side bottom pieces and post it.
I would like to know what you finally decide to do when you install the wide bottom piece.  Thanks
Phil   

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Aar1064

Quote from: 340challconvert on July 10, 2017, 06:35:19 PM
Hey Aar
I am in a similar position.  Just cleaned up the windshield track after removing the old, original windshield and am ready to install the new windshield and surrounding chrome.

When I removed the wide base chrome strip from the bottom, I found very little window sealer except under the two L shaped chrome pieces at the bottom corners.  There was so much in this area that the clip on the back of the molding stayed on the car on one side. I have mixed feelings about putting some sort of sealer under this piece, but I am waiting to see how it lays down after the windshield is in.
I will also try to take a pic of the screws that secure the side bottom pieces and post it.
I would like to know what you finally decide to do when you install the wide bottom piece.  Thanks
Phil

I just installed without anything underneath. Fit was good so really see no need for it.

Looking forward to seeing the screws on the corners.

I realized to that I need two other screws as well. They are small maybe 8's and they go along the lower edge.

Thanks

Edit: I just now realized that there is an extra piece in your pic that I've never seen. What's that for?

Cuda Cody

Outside screw from an original car Barry looked at. 

Aar1064

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 10, 2017, 08:35:47 PM
Outside screw from an original car Barry looked at.

I can't tell if that screw has a washer head or not. Looks as though it has.

B5Cuda440-6

AAR1064,

Here is a pic of the correct corner trim piece screw from a 11,000 mi survivor 70 Hamtramck build Hemi Cuda. The screw does have a small tapered washer attached to the head of the screw. I was able to find the same screw through AMK products.

I have seen another type of solid washer head screw used on survivor Hamtramck cars that did not have a loose washer, but I don't have any pics of those. Most original cars I have observed have the screw in the first picture.

Also, here's a pic of the correct screw that it used to attach the windshield moulding to the cowl. It is the same screw that is used to hold the weather strip "C" channel to the roof and potentially the chrome drip rail moulding to the roof. I've seen 2 different types of screws for the drip rail moulding.

Hope this helps

Aar1064

Fantastic! :thankyou:
So the washer is loose. That appears to be the same screw in the pic @Cuda Cody posted. Thanks for the help @B5Cuda440-6.