Main Menu

Windshield washer

Started by Sir Keppa, February 04, 2019, 11:48:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Sir Keppa

My 70 R/T had a washer reservoir with an electric pump installed when i get it.
Its connected to a harness but it seems it doesnt work.
From what i was told the pump should be activated by pressing the wiper switch in - is that correct?

I was also wondering if the electrical pumps are an after market thing or if they were factory.
I know there are foot pumps as well but i dont know what came with the car back then...
Global is the new local!

Chryco Psycho

electric pum0s were factory & yes you push the switch to activate it

JS29

2-speed wiper = foot pump, Variable or 3-speed= Electric pump.   :alan2cents:

Sir Keppa

Thanks guys.
My car came with the 3-speed wiper.
I think i have to check if i have the right switch installed ;)
Global is the new local!

73_Cuda_4_Me

Use a test light or voltmeter to see if you get power to the pump motor when switch is pushed... my washer motor was rusted up as it's the lowest part of the bottle assembly... took it apart, and the armature was rusted up solid... managed to carefully disassemble and clean, put it back together, and have had working washer pump since then (2 years)...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

7212Mopar

The pump is probably dead. It has a tiny toy size motor. Brown is power and black is grounded to the fender. Replacement pump is cheap at local auto parts store.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

73_Cuda_4_Me

The hardest part was mounting the pump back up to the washer bottle! Thin wall socket and 2 extensions to reach that far, assembling it upside down so nut wouldn't drop out of socket...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Sir Keppa

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on February 05, 2019, 12:39:12 PM
The hardest part was mounting the pump back up to the washer bottle! Thin wall socket and 2 extensions to reach that far, assembling it upside down so nut wouldn't drop out of socket...
I know i did that allready.  :-X

I will measure the voltage at the motor next week.
Global is the new local!