Main Menu

Hood pin bezels

Started by GoMangoBoys, October 07, 2020, 09:49:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Which of these hood pin bezels is correct?  The smaller one came on the car.  The larger one came with some hood pins that I bought from a user on here.  I am inclined to think that the smaller ones are more correct.   I think they will polish up just fine.
Thanks

1 Wild R/T

Four mounting holes is correct

Cuda Cody

GoMangoBoys

Thank you.  I also want to verify that it is ok that the hole in the bezel is so much larger than the pin? This seems like it would make alignment a bit less ctitical.
Thanks.

70/6chall

Just like the guys say, the 4 hole bezel is correct. There is a black rubber seal that goes under the bezel.thanks,   Al

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: 70/6chall on October 07, 2020, 04:17:03 PM
Just like the guys say, the 4 hole bezel is correct. There is a black rubber seal that goes under the bezel.thanks,   Al

@70/6chall Great point Al, in that you don't want them to let water in when it rains or you wash it.

anlauto

The four hole pattern is actually turned the other way to be in line with the side of the hood :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoMangoBoys

Thanks.  I will go with the new 4 hole bezels that I bought.  I did get the rubber seals that go under them.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on October 07, 2020, 06:10:02 PM
The four hole pattern is actually turned the other way to be in line with the side of the hood :alan2cents:

Like Alan mentioned, the four hole pattern should be in line with the side of the hood Like in the picture...

benlavigne

If you are putting on shiny new bezels, here's a trick I did so they would not get scratched by the pin...
Just used a piece cut of some transparent plastic packaging...

Ben

anlauto

...or just set the pin higher so the clip doesn't rest on the bezel.....it's not like they are holding the hood closed (AAR/TA exempt) :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Claudia

:alan2cents: I concur with others . . . four screw is correct and the bezel should be oriented so that two of the screw holes are aligned with the hood edge . . . or at least that is how I installed mine!

benlavigne

Quote from: anlauto on October 08, 2020, 06:55:31 AM
...or just set the pin higher so the clip doesn't rest on the bezel.....it's not like they are holding the hood closed (AAR/TA exempt) :D

Alan,
In my case, the edges of the hood do lift at speed, enough to mar the bezel, even if set higher... I do drive over 55 MPH even on Polyglas tires! lol!
Plus I think it looks silly if the pins sit too high off the hood...

Ben

anlauto

Quote from: benlavigne on October 08, 2020, 11:45:22 AM
Quote from: anlauto on October 08, 2020, 06:55:31 AM

Alan,
In my case, the edges of the hood do lift at speed, enough to mar the bezel, even if set higher... I do drive over 55 MPH even on Polyglas tires! lol!
Plus I think it looks silly if the pins sit too high off the hood...

Ben

It's all good :twothumbsup:

1 Wild R/T

Back in the early 80's when original hood pins were getting hard to find & NOS virtually impossible to find... (No internet, local dealer might do a parts search but rarely found anything....) I had a buddy make me a set of bezels out of solid stainless round stock.... Looking at them they were perfect clones of the OE hood pin bezels but being solid they could be used to hold the hood down & wouldn't show any signs of damage.... I should have pulled them off the car when I sold it....