Main Menu

Wiper linkage

Started by dbishop1113, July 07, 2018, 05:55:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dbishop1113

Trying to locate some used wiper linkage for project I picked up, is there a difference in the linkage assy for 2 vs 3 speed?
For 1971 cuda, here are two I found on eBay, both from same seller but look identical to me

My car does not have the wiper motor or wiring so I could go either way.....any reason to not do 3 speed??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Wild R/T

They are different, On the two speed see the rubber boot at the motor connection? it's should have a spring loaded ramp/cam assembly hidden in the boot...

dbishop1113

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 07, 2018, 06:03:17 PM
They are different, On the two speed see the rubber boot at the motor connection? it's should have a spring loaded ramp/cam assembly hidden in the boot...

Thank you, so if I found a two speed setup cheap, can you change out the one bar that connects to the wiper motor to make it 3sp compatible? Is that part hard to find and treated like gold? Is it worth it to go 3 speed or does it not matter much?

dbishop1113

Will any from 70-74 work on 71?  Or are there year differences?

1 Wild R/T

The motor link is different, all the other parts are the same.... Don't know about 72-74 but it would probably work....

dbishop1113

Would the code be on the data plate?  Guess I could just plan to go back to what was original, however don't have build sheet, and I decided the data plate and don't see a wiper code on there

1 Wild R/T

Wipers aren't coded on the tag, just the broadcast sheet....   Are there any original parts still with the car?  Wiper switch? Any linkages? Two speed will have a manual foot pump windshield washer system...

anlauto

Did the car have a rally dash from the factory ? If so it would have three speed wipers
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dbishop1113

No rally dash...and the parts that came with car I can't trust for originality

C_B5

The 2 speed and variable speed wipers all use the same parts except for the motors and one of the linkage arms (taking into account what others have already posted about the model year differences).

The straight linkage part #2822291 is the same for all wiper set-ups. The arm with the bend is the one that's different. The variable speed uses arm with part #2822293.

Even if you locate a 2-speed set-up a variable / 3 speed wiper motor will be needed for the swap.
If the car is a 70-71 E-body then the correct wiper motor is part # 3431077 which can be difficult to find and expensive depending on date codes.

Claudia

I had the exact same questions / concerns as I ended up switching my '71 over from 2 to 3 speed wipers as well.  As others have already stated . . . two wiper pivots and the straight linkage arm are the same . . . bent arm that connects the left wiper pivot to the motor is different from 2 to 3 speed. 

You should need the following for the 3-speed setup:

(1) Right Wiper Pivot: #3431048
(1) Left Wiper Pivot: #3431049
(1) Wiper Pivot Center Link (straight arm connecting the two pivots): #2822291
(1) Wiper Pivot Drive Arm (bent arm that connects the left wiper pivot to the wiper crank arm): #2822293
(1) Wiper Motor Crank Arm (connects the bent arm to the actual wiper motor shaft): #2822289

dbishop1113

Thanks for the info, car was originally 340 but putting 426 hemi, has seen something about possible clearance issues with 2speed wiper motor?  Couple pictures I saw looks like the 3sp motor orients differently in engine bay.  Best to assume to piece together 3speed for clearance?

anlauto

You would ONLY need a 3spd wiper motor if you're using a shaker hood, otherwise your 2spd would work.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Claudia

Kind of difficult to tell from pictures but the 2 speed wiper motor sticks out sort of straight from the mounting point on the firewall and the 3 speed sort of lays back against the firewall.

Jay Bee

Reading through this thread I didn't see the part number for the Variable Speed Wiper Switch mentioned. You'll need that too for the conversion, it's: #2770380