Year One AAR hood quality/brand

Started by Crash520, February 19, 2017, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

TX9

Yeah that's about impossible to be that color on an e-body

Then again I think e-body's may look good in just about every color

Crash520

Sorry I meant TX9/TX9, inside the engine bay, trunk, door jams etc are still black, it's just had a dark metallic grey overcoat that has crazed, and been poorly patched, the body is in outstanding shape, no panels need rust repair, just minor dings and scrapes etc, it had the factory rubber stops down either side that were screwed on, I've removed them so the holes will need closing over, and the trim around the bottom of the vinyl clips are also screwed so they need filling them it'll be back to Black,,,,, then I might wrap it in matte grey or black for a while
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

nsmall

Black....Block sand like a champion!!!

Crash520

Greg
Brisbane
Australia

RUNCHARGER

I know it is like a forbidden topic with classic Mopars but for a slightly modified car I like the wrap idea. My Stealth needs some paint work and I am thinking of doing a carbon fibre type wrap on some of it as well rather than doing paint.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

The real advantage to wraps is to get some design or text that would not be easy or possible with paint.  Carbon Fiber would be a great example of a way to get a specific look without breaking the bank.

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 22, 2017, 09:01:14 AM
I know it is like a forbidden topic with classic Mopars but for a slightly modified car I like the wrap idea. My Stealth needs some paint work and I am thinking of doing a carbon fibre type wrap on some of it as well rather than doing paint.

cataclysm80

How does the cost compare for a wrap?

I imagine you'd still have to have nice smooth body panels, so it won't get you out of any rust repair or body work.
For me, I guess painting just seems easier, but the cars I build usually don't run and need a LOT of work.

Cuda Cody

Wraps are not cheap and will not last as long as paint.  I would choose paint over a wrap unless it was a situation where I needed custom graphics / logos.  The panels still have to be clean, flat and painted for a wrap to work good.  It's not a short cut, it's a different path.

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 22, 2017, 09:14:05 AM
How does the cost compare for a wrap?

I imagine you'd still have to have nice smooth body panels, so it won't get you out of any rust repair or body work.
For me, I guess painting just seems easier, but the cars I build usually don't run and need a LOT of work.

Crash520

out here the starting price for a wrap is around $2K basic, and 'if' looked after should last around 5 years. For the best look yes the under surface needs to be good. One way to 'save' an expensive paint job is to wrap it, so right now my plan was to get that expensive paint job, out here a back to bare metal, issues fixed paint job is the best part of $20K, let is settle for say 4-6 months then id consider wrapping it, I like the matte wraps, not many out here on semi pro street type muscle cars, so, I could change wrap colors if I wanted to every 5 or so years, its not a daily driver, and somewhat protect my paint from scratches and small chips, people leaning on the car at shows, me working on it being a dick/lazy and so on.
anyway, thats where my mind is at with it for now.
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

MoparDave

they use to be exempt from discounts. I see they are not exempt now. I have one here and it looks pretty good. But I have nothing to compare it too. It does have the reinforcement in the hinge area if you need to know that.

Part Number: LH1001
* Discount Eligible
* Not Eligible For Free Shipping
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

Crash520

Thanks Dave, I ordered one last Friday on the 30% code, freight is going to cost me around $900.00 all up paid, the price you pay for living out here.
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Markp

My Yearone hood came in today. Don't expect these hoods to be perfect out of the box they will definitely need lots of prepping.

1974 Cuda Pro Street HP?????
2000 Camaro SS 383 Stroker 550hp
2016 Challenger Hellcat 707HP

Cuda Cody

Thanks for posting photos.  You can see why they get damaged so easily in shipping with only cardboard sampled to it.  Your's doesn't look to bad either.  I've had them show up with cracks in them from the shipping company stacking things on them.

If you plan to paint your own Organosol it might be worth seeing if you can pick up some tips from the videos we have on our site.

https://www.e-bodies.org/videos/

And by the way, the hood LOOKS awesome on your Cuda!   :clapping: 

cataclysm80

Quote from: Markp on February 28, 2017, 02:25:49 PM
My Yearone hood came in today. Don't expect these hoods to be perfect out of the box they will definitely need lots of prepping.

What does the bottom side look like?
Does it have the half moons on the sides at the front for the hood bumpers?

Markp

I will take some pictures of underneath tonight after work for you.
1974 Cuda Pro Street HP?????
2000 Camaro SS 383 Stroker 550hp
2016 Challenger Hellcat 707HP