Main Menu

2017-indy-cylinder-head-chrysler-performance-show-and-swap-meet? Good show?

Started by Brads70, October 12, 2017, 07:20:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/2017-indy-cylinder-head-chrysler-performance-show-and-swap-meet/

Indianapolis, Indiana
March 4 – March 5
I'm needing something to look forward to? I thought it was in January but I guess not?

Just wondering if this is a worth while show ? Looks like a similar size show as what Roseville puts on?  Never been before. Just wondering about getting a bunch of us locals here from Ontario to get together and go, rent a minivan or something share rooms etc...?
Thoughts?

69BFan

For someone looking to purchase good used racing equipment, I believe that you will be very happy with the show.  I know the guys that come up with us, always are able to sell most of the items that they bring and they also are able to find some bargains as well.  Like any show, the good buys are bought up on Friday as vendors are unloading and setting up.  I would doubt that you will find very much quality NOS items as those parts are saved for Carlisle, but you do have vendors attending this show who do not come to Carlisle or The Nats.
For customers looking for reproduction items, most all of the major vendors are there with the exception of Mega Parts.  Otherwise, you will have a wide selection to choose from.  Due to the size of the event, most vendors will only bring a limited amount of volume, so it is best to get in contact with your favorite vendor and ask them to bring anything in particular. 
Last year, every swap meet space was sold out.  For us, from about 10:15 to 1:30, it was all that we could do to take care of the customers.  After about 3:00, the show calms down and by 4:00, you will see some vendors with limited inventory packing up and starting to sneak out.  Vendors are suppose to stay through Sunday, but many do not.  For that reason, I do not suggest Sunday, other than just to kill a day or to look for a bargain.
I really look forward to the show as that you do not have to worry about the weather, other than getting there.  Customers come in to buy and the event staff are very helpful and appreciative of you supporting the show.  There are plenty of hotels around without jacked up rates.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Brads70

Thanks for that reply, it was helpful1 Sounds like a fun show to go to, something different to break up the winter maybe...... :thinking:

Cuda Cody

MOPAR MITCH

I went this year (~March 2017) for my first time (simple ~3-hour drive south of Chicago)... it was mostly independent private vendors, as though your typical swap meet ... few pro-vendors (businesses).  I was hoping for more pro-vendors.  Very large overall, and indoors so the outside weather isn't any factor.   I may attend again.

69BFan

What do you consider as a "Pro-Vendor"?  Just wondering as I know that AMD, Stephens Performance, Herb's, Tony's Auto Parts, Legendary Auto Interiors, Van's, Joe Suchy, Kramer Auto Parts, Chet's Auto Parts, Little Detroit, Restoration Parts and Materials, Right Stuff and Indy Cylinder Heads are all represented at the show.  The only other one that is really missing is Mega Parts and they quit attending two years ago. 
If your looking for something like Year One, they haven't brought parts to a show in probably over 25 years.  Just interested in what would constitute a "Pro-Vendor / Business?
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Roadman

Quote from: 69BFan on October 16, 2017, 05:21:18 PM
What do you consider as a "Pro-Vendor"?  Just wondering as I know that AMD, Stephens Performance, Herb's, Tony's Auto Parts, Legendary Auto Interiors, Van's, Joe Suchy, Kramer Auto Parts, Chet's Auto Parts, Little Detroit, Restoration Parts and Materials, Right Stuff and Indy Cylinder Heads are all represented at the show.  The only other one that is really missing is Mega Parts and they quit attending two years ago. 
If your looking for something like Year One, they haven't brought parts to a show in probably over 25 years.  Just interested in what would constitute a "Pro-Vendor / Business?

:popcorn:

Brads70

I'd say Mitch meant businesses ( he had it in brackets) vs private individuals selling flea market style.

69BFan

Most of us vendors that attend these venues are your typical Mom and Pop style business.  Granted our size and market strength does not equate to a Classic Industries or a Year One, but I consider our business and those as listed above to be legit businesses supporting the hobby.  The company that I am involved with has over six hundred different parts and three times that number of different variations for different year models and configurations. 
Thankfully, we have Classic Industries, Year One and all of the mentioned companies listed above as customers and the retail side as well.  Without the grass root Mom and Pop businesses, then it would be impossible for a Classic or Year One to manufacture and stock all of the pieces that vendors like those mentioned above provide to these massive warehouses and the hobbyist. 
I am not out to start an argument, but just out of curiosity, wonder what constitutes to the average hobbyist the difference between a business and a "swap meet vendor".  Granted, Indy just like Carlisle and The Nats is full of "swappers".  Unless you should attend an event like SEMA, then in my opinion, 15% of the swap meets are made up of vendors like myself which I consider a legit business.  To me, the non-business vendor would be that hobbyist who packs up the left over parts from his latest projects and carries them out to an event hoping to make some money to cover the cost of the weekend expenses and possibly pay for a couple odds and ends if possible.  Just wondering?

Brads70

Quote"  To me, the non-business vendor would be that hobbyist who packs up the left over parts from his latest projects and carries them out to an event hoping to make some money to cover the cost of the weekend expenses and possibly pay for a couple odds and ends if possible.  Just wondering?"

I whole heartily agree, and /or add in used parts. By business I would say is one that sells new parts. (Size of the business is not important.) But saying that some sell rare used parts too. ( Thinking Tony's)
Makes no difference to me though , love them all!  :wave:
Personally I like Mopar only shows as locally around here car swap meets have turned into recent immigrants selling t-shirts and socks,"waterpipes" , dishes  and the like. Drives me nuts !  :)

I'd REALLY like to go to SEMA sometime, it's a bucket list item for me!  :yes:

69BFan

SEMA is a must see for any car person.  I do not always agree with the focus on some of the cars, but the quality of most of the creations and restorations is beyond belief.  You can never see everything between the different buildings over the four day event. 

B5Cuda440-6

I've attended this show for at least the past 5 years, and overall it is a really good event. General spectators can't get in on Friday because it's only for vendor set-up, so I don't know how you'd get access to the "good stuff" before it's gone on Saturday.

Overall, it's a really good show for new and used racing parts. I have found smaller/more common NOS items there in the past that I needed and there is a really good vendor line-up as well. In my opinion, it's a good mid-winter break from not having any swap-meets/shows in the Midwest during that time. It's indoors and easy to navigate. Since I have a 70 Cuda, I'm always on the lookout for parts and good E-Body stuff is far and few between. The few items I have seen usually have a higher price tag, but that's typical of most larger shows nowadays.

Two years ago, there was a vendor with a set of 450 rims at the show and I picked one up to check out the condition, date, etc. They were really nice rims, I would say an 8 out of 10 on a rating scale. At the same time, another spectator came up and was asking me about the rims because he was looking for 15x7's for his mid-70's Mopar. I explained that these rims are really rare/hard to find in good condition, and typically sell for around $1000 a piece. He was like "yeah right" and then asked the vendor what he wanted for all 4. Answer: $5000.00. His jaw dropped.

Aren't the dates March 3rd and 4th for 2018?

Brads70

" Aren't the dates March 3rd and 4th for 2018?"

I'd guess you are correct, tough to find any " official"  info yet? Thanks for your feedback about the show, sounds like fun!

69BFan

It is really funny watching the vendors unloading their goods as fellow vendors are basically unloading it for them on Friday.  Being that the Friday lineup is basically all vendors, I would say some of the prime items are sold a couple times on Friday before the buying public gets an attempt at the piece on Saturday.  Last year, the show was a complete sale out for the swap meet spaces and I would say unless they jack the prices up unreasonably, it will be sold out before the event opens the doors to the public. 

Brads70

Quote from: 69BFan on October 17, 2017, 06:11:16 PM
It is really funny watching the vendors unloading their goods as fellow vendors are basically unloading it for them on Friday.  Being that the Friday lineup is basically all vendors, I would say some of the prime items are sold a couple times on Friday before the buying public gets an attempt at the piece on Saturday.  Last year, the show was a complete sale out for the swap meet spaces and I would say unless they jack the prices up unreasonably, it will be sold out before the event opens the doors to the public.

Like all swap meets if you REALLY want/need something the trick is to rent a swap meet spot, sell some parts but really your just there to get first crack at the stuff you want/need.
I know people that rent spots at Carlisle just to park so they don't have to walk so far with purchases. They do sell "some parts" but thats just a secondary thought.