Main Menu

Dodge Roadkill on Woodward Avenue

Started by Banana, August 04, 2021, 10:25:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

Everybody needs to make the Woodward Dream Cruise some time (this year on August 21), but the weekend before is an absolutely amazing event put on by Dodge. I think it's the only place in the nation where they legally close a main thoroughfare for drag racing. Also, massive Mopar displays, Hellcat rides, etc.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/roadkill-nights-info-date-tickets-registration/

https://www.motortrend.com/events/roadkill-nights/

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/start-your-engines-roadkill-nights-powered-by-dodge-announces-hellcat-grudge-race-participants-and-opens-registration-301327015.html

Grimmey71

70 Top Banana

I am a local guy and have been going just about every year since it started. They had some nice cars. Seemed like the factory Dodges had a tough time hooking up. There were also had a few drivers that were a  "We bit late" on the tree.

As far as Woodward Avenue, it use to be great, especially in the early years before everyone in the world found out about it. You could actually cruise!. It seems to get more out of hand each year. It was real hot, more people, more modern new cars, more stupidity and more drunks after about 3 or 4pm. I am out by about 2pm.  It use to be much better. My buddy, about 3 years ago was bumper to bumper on Woodward (I am not exaggerating bumper to bumper) so you really can't cruise, you idle down Woodward. A drunk, driving a hooptie decided to do a burnout in front of an Irish pub with a lot of other drunks standing out from screaming "light um up". The guy tried, the car caught and he drove right into the back of my buddy's car and his car was beautiful. Then last year someone waving to the crowd rolled into him again.
If you can get into one of the show areas in one of the cities that participate good but you do have to get your car there and get it out. Not worth it for me.
I get there real early, take a couple passes before everyone shows up. Then park the car. I go to the Dodge display and the GM display to get my free T- shirt then try to find something to eat (which is ridiculous).Then head home.

If you think Mopar Nationals is a Sh-  t show then stay away from the Woodward dream cruise.

Spikedog08

I'm local as well and have not gone the past few years . . On Saturday anyways.  Woodward parking lot is more like it.  Just did not enjoy it that much . . Plus it was hot!  I had to pass through this year on M59 in Pontiac and was bumper to bumper at the loop.   Was glad to get away from it  . .  Saw 2 cars over heated and then an accident just off the strip. 

If you have never been . . Certain come out for a few days but it is more enjoyable during the week before the Saturday highlights.  It is all week long at this point. 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Banana

Totally agree with the Woodward comments..........Saturday is now a couple mile long traffic jam, while sitting in 90 degree plus scorching heat.........my big block still running hot at idle, so I can't get caught up in the jam

Yes, unfortunately, more and more dehydrated drunks......on the roadside (and driving)

However, it's the biggest car event on earth, and the cars types, and quality, seems to get better each year..........it is amazing as long as you prepare and plan ahead

ZippyZoo

:iagree: 20 years ago when I took my Challenger 'vert, it was just a huge, hot-hot-hot, traffic jam.  Can imagine how much worse it is now!
Hagerty did a piece with a photo gallery at the end of the article.  Some nice Mopar (and other) shots. 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/events/photo-gallery-detroits-woodward-dream-cruise-still-thrills/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Thursday_DailyDriver&hashed_email=93de0df36718e7735fd0e0537fd832f94c18be4e51932443e6f1d6f0566d9d56

Grimmey71

Made it up there couple time during the week. It felt different this year and I can't explain it. It was maddening how many businesses blocked off their parking lots. Two places I bought food from would not open their bathrooms for my five year old. But we hung out with a local car club that has great members with lots of mopars. The cruise in saint Clair shores the following Wednesday was great though