Moparty

Started by GoMangoBoys, August 21, 2022, 09:00:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tedsweet

too late in year once school restarts

torredcuda

Quote from: anlauto on September 21, 2022, 10:21:43 AM
Yea, I wish it wasn't so far away :'(

Same here.  I love going to Carlisle as it`s an awesome, well organized show and large swap meet with both big and small vendors but where it lacks compared to the Nats and Moparty is the racing/driving exhibition. Yes I know Carlilse has the track in the back for ride alongs and autocross but it`s small and action is limited. I hope Moparty grows to rival the Nats and even Carlisle and maybe I can save my pennies and either trailer the cuda out or possibly fly in and rent a modern Mopar to attend.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

MOPAR MITCH

This was the third year of Moparty... and as expected, it grew larger.   They relocated the swap meet to a larger area... over-filled into the outside spectator parking area; also had a few more known business vendors.   There were more show cars and club gatherings.   More drag cars.  More auto-crossers (my favorite event!)... on a pretty good large/open track (puts Carlisle to shame).  More "Grand Champion" contenders.  They also added an off-road dirt track area for pick-up trucks to run/jump, along with a vehicle/trailer to carry people to/from that off-road area for spectating.  The General Lee was there doing what its supposed to do... two-wheel stints and hi-jumping.  They gave show car awards out Saturday late afternoon/evening at the circle track area... as many typical show cars start heading home Sunday... that was a good idea.   Best of all.. once again... the weather was very good... this time near perfect (warm/sunny... no rain at all for the weekend).  I can't wait unto Moparty 2023!!!   APPLAUSE to ALL THE STAFF (FM3) that put on the event!

JH27N0B

I wish Carlisle was closer, still never made the 12-13 hour trek out there yet...
Bowling Green is 7 hours or so from my home.
I thought I shared my car show pictures earlier this week. Here they are again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72177720302231112

I just finished up the racing pictures last night.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72177720302315934

Looking forward to next year, I have 12 months to decide what car to take!  :thinking:

torredcuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on September 23, 2022, 05:33:25 AM
I wish Carlisle was closer, still never made the 12-13 hour trek out there yet...
Bowling Green is 7 hours or so from my home.

That`s my problem with Moparty - it`s almost a 20 hour drive, Carlisle is only around 8 hours from here.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

Again, great pictures Brad :twothumbsup: ....the thing for me....I have zero interest in the motorsports end of things, so at a show like that...I would never bother walking over to check that stuff out....and would likely only find the noise annoying....

...but...I can certainly appreciate the fact that there are a lot of people that do enjoy that stuff, and when a show can offer something for everyone, it will certainly be successful, and draw a lot more people out. To be successful, the trick is to do every single aspect of the show with the upmost effort and not favor one over the other.......in other words, take care of the swap meet vendors, treat them right, the car show guys and the racers, etc.....like three individual shows in one......and maybe one year I'll make the trek
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

It's nice to have a variety of different auto related activities to appeal to different enthusiasts, or to give people multiple different things to see over the course of a weekend.
Also it makes it easier to talk friends and family into going.  You want to see the car show, but your buds or kids cringe at the thought of looking at cars and grimy parts in a swap meet all day. At a show like this, they can watch racing while you dig through parts in the swap or compare notes with guys with show cars, and no one gets bored.
As those who know me are aware, I've got messed up feet/ankle/lower legs from an accident 30 years ago.  Walking all day is impossible for me.
I like this show as I can walk around for a couple hours, then go sit by the drag strip for a while.
Which is sheltered and that really helps because heat and humidity knock me out, on top of giving my beleaguered feet a break.
The area where cars and spectators enter is pretty hilly so that was tough on me.  I didn't even want to try to get around without my cane.
One recommendation I'd give everyone thinking of entering a car there in the future is check and service your parking brake beforehand.  I took my '71 and it's a 4 speed.  Being a flatlander I've never used the parking brake!  I was hesitant to use it at the show on the chance it would stick.  Fortunately that car typically starts up immediately with no fighting the throttle or anything. I'd pump the gas once, hit the brakes, push the clutch and fire it up.
If I had to fight to start it, I'd risk rolling down the hill and who knows where I'd have ended up!
I wish I'd checked out the parking brake previously to confirm it works well, I could have used it in Kentucky.
I'm surprised no car has rolled away there yet!
Even setting up our chairs behind our row of cars seemed a bit sketchy, being on a hill.
In fact one friend had his chair tip on him Saturday and he took a tumble.  He's a guy with health issues but thankfully he wasn't hurt!

Cratos

Did anyone see any judges this year? we went last year and never saw anyone judging. so we skipped this year.

JH27N0B

Quote from: Cratos on October 21, 2022, 09:11:19 AM
Did anyone see any judges this year? we went last year and never saw anyone judging. so we skipped this year.
This years show they did judging a little differently. They had what I'd call celebrity judges assigned to each class, and they chose the winner. I think Rob Wolf judged E bodies and picked the winner. Tim Wellborn did B bodies etc.
I saw Rob around the show, but never saw any indication he even looked at my 71. But with only one prize for E bodies, I didn't expect to win.
All in all they only had maybe 8 or 10 trophies for the car show. They had the winners at the circle track Saturday evening along with the other festivities like the General lee jump, wing car parade and burnout contest.
They do need more awards and judging at the show as that is important to a lot of guys showing cars.

anlauto

:iagree: as I said earlier, to make a good show great, you have to take care of everybody and understand what each person goes to the show for :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration