Main Menu

The Mopar Nats

Started by Spikedog08, March 27, 2017, 12:24:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Linked Events

• The Nats

Spikedog08

No one has posted what was once the biggest and best show . . . now not so much . . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

'cause the show is just kaos ....over run with stinky porta-potties and golf carts.... :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

schtick

I go to Carlisle every year.  But in 2015, decided to drive the 'cuda from CT to  the Nats in Ohio. Although I had a great time, it was due to the great people we met at our motel as well as the other motels while out cruising. The problem is that the show field has zero organization. It's park wherever you want each day. For example, one day  My '70 Cuda, next to a 2008 SRT8 on one side and an 83 D50 pick up on the other. The problem with this is there are no like minded enthusiast's close by. The only option is to leave your car for hours and find some group of like minded people. Second, if you are being judged,( I was not,) that show feild was literally 1/2 mile away from the the main show feild ACROSS the race track and in a grassy feild completely separate from the main show. I would go again for the people and after hours fun but the show is unorganized and does not feel as great as Carlisle does. It was much better and cleaner in the late eighties.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cuda Cody

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @schtick   That show is one that has been on my list to attend for a long time.  What would your advice be for someone that might fly in and not bring a car?  Are there good places to stay or any places to avoid?  And will not having a car take away from the experience or (maybe by the way run) make it more enjoyable with less stress?

Quote from: schtick on March 27, 2017, 01:22:00 PM
I go to Carlisle every year.  But in 2015, decided to drive the 'cuda from CT to  the Nats in Ohio. Although I had a great time, it was due to the great people we met at our motel as well as the other motels while out cruising. The problem is that the show field has zero organization. It's park wherever you want each day. For example, one day  My '70 Cuda, next to a 2008 SRT8 on one side and an 83 D50 pick up on the other. The problem with this is there are no like minded enthusiast's close by. The only option is to leave your car for hours and find some group of like minded people. Second, if you are being judged,( I was not,) that show feild was literally 1/2 mile away from the the main show feild ACROSS the race track and in a grassy feild completely separate from the main show. I would go again for the people and after hours fun but the show is unorganized and does not feel as great as Carlisle does. It was much better and cleaner in the late eighties.

schtick

It's a Mopar weekend! For me, it's about the drive. If I went there without a car,   I would go Friday and Saturday watch some drags one day and walk the show the other. Pick a Hotel in the middle of things. Stay in a town called Heath. On Hebron Rd. Holiday Inn Express had the most action. Years ago it was Brice Rd in Reynoldsburg to stay. Took a ride there one of the nights it was not as cool as Heath and Hebron Rd. If you love Mopars, you certainly can't go wrong to see this show. I met people from three different countries when I was there unbelievable.

MEK-Dangerous

Here's my not so helpful 2 cents..

I went out there in '09. I picked up Whitesatinmopar and his wife Pam along the way. We were just out there for the Saturday show.

I liked watching the drag racing as a change of pace. The burn out contest has a rule for how much smoke you can make in a short period of time. At Carlisle, it's smoke until something blows out.

What I didn't like...The cost was twice of Carlisle. If you bring a car there, get in the judging area even if you don't want to be judged, just to get away from the kayos of the show field. I mean to tell you, they shoe horn them in there, and there is no organization as far as make or year. The vehicles for sale had their own corral, which was nice.

Since this show is in August, be aware...There is no place to get out of the sun. There are some trees in the judged cars area, but that's it. It was a mostly cloudy day when I went. I got major sun burn. BIG surprise.    :rolleyes:

Burdar

Each has positives and negatives.

The judged section of the Nats is on the other side of the track because that's what the owners of the cars wanted at the time. The west side is cleaner...less dusty and the high dollar cars are safer over there. That being said, the judged show seems to be shrinking every year. There seems to be a movement towards DRIVING these cars instead of just displaying them for an award. Imo it's time to reorganize the layout.

The Nats is "unorganized" in the fact that there aren't asigned parking spaces for make/model. I think that is good and bad. I like how Carlisle is laid out however if you have friends with another body style you want to park next to, you're SOL. Also, walking through row after row of the same body style gets boring.

anlauto

In defence of that....At Carlisle I only look at the types of cars I like.....Saves time and knowing all the E Bodies are in one area I can be sure I didn't miss "the one" everybody is talking about on Monday :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration