Main Menu

... 4 hours from carlisle, is day trip reasonable attempt ?

Started by Jocigar, July 07, 2020, 01:33:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Hi Gents, thinking of heading out 6am Saturday morning. 

My daughter is excided to attend and its been decades since I went.

Should I try for day trip ?   I was thinking of staying in Scranton on way back in case we are exhausted, they have a train station converted to hotel and it a half way point from/to home.   Let me know what you think.  thanks

anlauto

Here's my thoughts:

You're going to arrive at 10am Saturday morning.

If you're going to see show cars....you will arrive at the peek time, you will have approximately six hours to walk around before most of the show cars start leaving, maybe less if it's smokin' hot out. You should be able to cover the show field and buildings in that time frame ( specially with the expected lower numbers due to Covid-19)...you could stick it out for another 2 hours or so, maybe get your name in for a Hellcat Thrill ride or something, eat dinner at the show.

If you're going to see the swap meet.....you're wasting your time....On the best of years...the vendors are packing up to go home by lunch time Saturday...Due to lower numbers of vendors and lower numbers of buyers this year, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of vendors don't even set up on Saturday...You might be able to jog though and pick up some last minute deals, but that's a gamble.

I've driven 4 hours to a one day event before, but not sure if I would do that with a show the size of Carlisle, even if it only gets 50% of regular capacity this year, there's still a lot to try and do in 8-10 hours before heading home. ... and YES you will likely be too exhausted to drive the whole way home :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Mopars in the Park is a 4 hour drive for me.  I make that a day trip.  That show isn't as large as Carlisle but it isn't small either.  If I lived that close to Carlisle, it wouldn't even be a question whether to go or not.  DO IT!

Leave at 6 and get there at 10.  Leaving at 5 gets you home by 9.(it will still be light out)  That gives you 7 hours at the show.  Very doable!

MEK-Dangerous

It pretty much is what is your goal is once you enter the show. Are you going to be spending time in the swap meet area, or just looking at cars?

I don't know your age, but I would not encourage a day trip if it's 4 hours each way. If you are only there for 1 day, you don't want to tell yourself "We can only be here for a few hours".  That's just how I see it. Enjoy the show, and stay somewhere overnight once you leave.

Rich G.

If Carlisle is as big as it always is you won't be able to see everything and really enjoy it in one day unless you just run through it. But with the heat it might be safer to sleep and drive home the next day.

Joegrapes

It's a 5 hour drive from where I used to live. I've left my house around 4am got there around 9am . Spent the day and left around 5pm to be home by 10. You can walk thru the vendor area pretty quick. Most of the stuff is just junk they dragged out of some bone yard and are trying to sell for way to much. And the cars in the coral for sale are generally gone before the seller ever gets to Carlisle if it's priced fairly. You won't find a deal there. But hey, I've been around a long time and seen more than my share of rusted out parts and cars that should be crushed rather than restored. Years ago you needed to go there to find a part. Now it's cheaper and easier to shop the internet. But if you're new to the hobby by all means go at least once. It's an experience.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Rich G. on July 07, 2020, 02:35:12 PM
If Carlisle is as big as it always is you won’t be able to see everything and really enjoy it in one day unless you just run through it. But with the heat it might be safer to sleep and drive home the next day.

Don’t see how it could be normal . . So many are not coming.  Certainly didn’t help that the Canadian border is closed. 

I’m sure it will still be fun! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Oh10Challengerless

This is a tough call and as people have already said it depends on what you're going to Carlisle to see.  If you do decide to come, please come by the e-bodies.org tent anytime for a rest and a drink and especially come around 1130 on Saturday for group lunch!  Lunch is free and it's a great chance to see multiple people in one place at one time.  With the lower turnout this year you may be able to get a hotel near the area cheap to allow you to stay at the show longer.  I know after being out in the heat all day I couldn't drive 4 hours.  If you make it and have any questions about the tent, lunch, etc, feel free to call or text me at 717-592-8381.

Ashley

jeff968

I've done this many times over the past ten years and it makes for a long day but is definitely doable assuming you are driving in a modern car. We leave CT at 5am. We stop once on the way and usually get to Carlisle just before 10. We hang out, see the swap and cars, leave around 5, grab dinner in Carlisle, and then do the long trip back, usually get in around 11. You'll save the hotel expense and it is an easy but long drive. We are skipping this year though but looking forward to 2021. 

Cuda70-74

Its worth it to me but im only 2hr away here in VA so 4 hour round trip for me. Theres alot to see plus i get ideas from the different.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Jocigar

Thanks for the replies everyone.   

Looks like I'll be heading out in the morning, both kids want join so I'll have backup drivers for the ride home :)    Look forward to meeting the crew at the tent