1970 Plymouth Barracuda 340 Cuda (Nice Clean Driver) with AAR look

Started by MasonDaniel7, May 16, 2022, 12:15:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MasonDaniel7

Mopsquad

kathyscuda

Mopsquad

Mr Cuda

If you read slowly,  it says originally  "bronze". Probably fk5, maybe fk3.
"Original fenders were rotted"  how much did the cancer spread?
No under car shots. Best left for some who can inspect.
That, and a 25k bid on day one,  so either reserve is met, or they will bid the next bidders up.

6pack

States no fender tag in the write up and says the original color.  I like the starting price of $1970.  Reserve is off at around $25000 people almost that for a project.

57Fury440

I felt I should chime in on this. The seller is a longtime good friend of mine. I drove this car at Englishtown and it ran consistent 15.2 times. We won the class with it. The car is very solid. The original fenders were not rusty. When he got the car it had been repainted in the original bronze color. It was a fair job at best. The fenders had lots of bodywork on them and most of the lines were rounded and wavy. The only rust I remember was around the rear wheel wells and the lower quarters. This car was never meant to be a showmobile. He wanted it to drive. The undercarriage was never painted or detailed and is how he got it. The Cuda starts right up and runs great. It slips on shifts between second and drive but does not slip once it is in drive. I have too many cars or I would buy it from him. Thanks.

cuda hunter

@57Fury440   Thanks for giving us some more descriptions about the car.  Did you join just to fill us in?

Would love to see pics of your 57 Fury.   

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

@57Fury440   Does the car retain it's build sheet? 

Never mind.  Gotta learn to read and retain.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

BS23H0B174435

HERE WE GO!
REAL 1970 Plymouth Cuda

BS23H0B174435

Non-matching numbers car with a
1971 340 with 1/18/71 stamp on the engine.

POSITIVES:
Starts right up.

Runs and drives.

Sounds great and idles smoothly.
Tach and aftermarket gauges work.
Headlights and taillights work.
Dash lights work.
Blinkers work.
Horn works.
Brake lights work.
Wipers work.
Has seatbelts.
Trunk closes and locks.
Brakes work well.
Engine does not smoke at all.

All glass is good and nothing is cracked.

Reproduction AAR hood added in 1989.

New Qtr Panel skins added in 1989 (Pre-full Qtrs. at the time).
Metal panel behind the rear window was added in 1989.
Headers and solid exhaust system installed in the 1990's

Always garaged except for trips to go fishing a few miles from the house.

Always passes NYS Inspection.

Very solid car.

REAL ELASTOMERIC BUMPERS:

(Non-reproduction) elastomeric front and rear bumpers.

(Added in 1989). Front bumper has cracked paint, rear bumper paint is very nice.

FIBERGLASS PARTS:

Fiberglass front fenders.

Fiberglass front lower valence panel.

Fiberglass rear lower valence panel.

(Body shop filled the seams by mistake).

SOME DRAWBACKS:
Non-matching numbers car.
No fender tags.

No build sheet.

Defroster does not work.
No radio.

Rear seat is torn on drivers side.

Doors close but do not lock.

Fog lights are non-functional.

Hood is a much older 1989 reproduction that was recently sanded and painted.

(After all these years a new one would probably look nicer).

Heater does not work.

Most of the gauges do not work except for the speedometer and charging gauge.

Do not have the original fenders that were quite rotted.

THE STORY OF THIS CAR:
I purchased this car in October of 1989 from a guy who lived in Avenel, NJ. He told me he used to race it at Englishtown N.J. which was pretty close to where he lived. The 340 Cuda was originally Bronze but was repainted in F5 Limelight in 1989. The car has a vinyl roof on it that looks like it was extended a couple inches for some reason, the chrome trim was extended as well by the roof line but looks fine as is. There is hardly any Bondo on the car except for where we added the quarter panel skins on the top ridge of the quarter panels in 1989. The doors were all stripped down to bare metal in 1989 before the 340 was painted. Other than adding an Edelbrock intake and carb we never worked on this engine. BTW, the same guy who sold it to me called me on New Years Day 1990 and asked if I would be willing to sell him the car back. Sorry, I just could not do it. Car is not perfect, paint at this point mostly has some bubbling around where the quarters were brazed to the top ridge of the original quarter panels of the car. Also some slight bubbling on the front of the fiberglass fenders. But other than that she's a clean looking driver and a very solid car. The paint on the sides of the quarter panels, doors and fenders is very good driver quality. Never really had any kind of front end work done on the car other than adding shocks and having it aligned. The tires are from around 1997 as well with less than 100 miles on them. Not sure how hard they are at this point.

THE TRANNY:

Reverse shift semi-automatic transmission (not original). Not sure if he added this setup for racing, but you have to shift through the gears but without a clutch. Sometimes when it's cold outside you will have to warm it up for about 10 minutes before the 340 shifts in reverse. But in warmer weather it shifts just fine. Never really had the tranny worked on or looked at. The tranny also seems to slip ever so slightly between 2nd and 3rd when driving or racing. But still we ran her in the high 14's as is down at the Mopar Nationals in Englishtown once in the late 90's. Maybe a band adjustment is needed. Has headers right now with a flex pipe between the headers and the mufflers which can easily be corrected at a muffler shop.

INTERIOR WORK:
In the early 90's I had the front seats recovered. New headliner installed in 1989 (but needs cleaning or replacement now). New rug installed in 1989. We also replaced both quarter panel skins in 1989. (Full quarters were not available back then). Drivers side floor pan installed in 1990.

WHOOPS!:
Oh man, totally forgot to shoot pictures of the inside of the trunk, but it's all painted and clean with a cargo mat. Will try to add that picture before the auction ends. Car is upstate by our weekend house right now.

MANIFOLDS INCLUDED:
I have an original set of cast iron exhaust manifolds that I bought at a swap meet years ago if you want to change the headers. These are the AAR style cast iron manifolds that are the correct ones for the car. They just need to be painted. Will throw them in the deal.

Youtube Links:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UNUuMe9aXNE

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hJAofMTnQl8

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/iXoHxZLPvD0

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/L_nXIAaWKMo

WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THIS CAR?

Because it's meant to be driven and have fun with. Thus, the reserve on this car will be very reasonable because this car is not a 75,000 dollar show car, it is a very clean driver and an older restoration with some imperfections due to old age, just like us. The undercarriage has dirt and mud on it because we used to use the Cuda to go fishing here on the Hollow upstate. You will probably have more fun just driving this car around rather than just letting it sit untouched in your garage. Because she starts right up and drives, it looks good, and will get lots of looks on the highway or main street. And the nice thing about this car is you can just start using it now without really spending tons of money fixing it up. Well, if you want you can have some areas touched up where the paint is bubbling, but other than that the 340 is a solid decent car.  In fact we took it on a 155 mile trip last year through the mountains with no issues at all. Had this car since 1989 and I feel bad parting with it, but as they say time moves on folks! Please reach out to me @ 347-486-0918 or Mopar195@yahoo.com for any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

DON'T WORRY NOW:
I have been a seller on Ebay for over 20 years. So you all don't worry. And in fact to keep us both in a good place we can do this transaction via the Escrow.com method through Ebay which I hear protects both the buyer and seller.

Will also accept a cashiers check or cash at pick-up but it must be done during banking hours for funds verification.

Wire transfer is also accepted.

Thank you and good luck!

Ron

On May-16-22 at 04:02:11 PDT, seller added the following information:
REVISE ON OUR QTR MILE TIME IN 1997

Ok, so my friend Peter (Mopar guy and best friend of mine) who actually raced the car at Englishtown in 1997, said it ran 15.4 not high 14's with that reverse pattern manual valve body transmission that slips a bit between 2nd and 3rd. With the tranny working right it could certainly get in the 14's according to him. Just want that information to be correct. Sorry, that was 25 years ago!
On May-17-22 at 18:13:22 PDT, seller added the following information:
Sorry everyone, no trades. Appreciate the offers but just looking to sell the 340 straight out. Was talking to my best friend Pete yesterday evening about the fun we had with this car at Englishtown in the 90's at the Mopar Nationals. Pete was a real good street racer and used to race his 57 Plymouth Fury in NYC in the 60's. He took this Cuda to the quarterfinals in 1997. He beat a bunch of real nice cars with this Cuda. We never tore down the engine but suspect that someone had some work done on it at some point. Just not exactly sure because we never took it apart. BTW put a new gas tank in it in the 90's as well. Sending unit too. But for some reason the gas gauge never really worked. The filter always stays clear so the tank is still nice and clean inside. Just being as honest as possible about everything with this car. Want you all to know the history too!

57Fury440

My son and I have two E bodies. A 1972 Barracuda I purchased new and a 1974 that my son bought in 1995. I didn't know about this site until I was told about my friend's car being talked about. It looks like a nice website to be on.

cuda hunter

Best website for ebodies.  There is a great resource's page with lots of links and info.
https://www.e-bodies.org/

Glad you joined us.  Perhaps start a welcome wagon post and show off a few pics of your awesome cars! 
Welcome!

57Fury440

As far as I can remember I don't think we found a build sheet in the car.