Main Menu

1970 Plymouth Barracuda cuda

Started by MasonDaniel7, May 28, 2022, 12:14:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BS27R1B

Quote from: anlauto on June 01, 2022, 05:20:36 AM
Maybe someone is buying it for what it is, and how it looks now, and could care less about numbers and options...they might just think its a "cool car"  :dunno:

We have to keep reminding ourselves that not everybody who loves these cars cares about tags and numbers and paperwork....they are just cool cars 8)

When you are thinking it is a $150,000 car and claim it is a V-code car you better be prepared to back it up.
Unless of course, you are hoping to stick somebody with the car who knows nothing. A fender tag photo is not much to ask.

People keep talking how bad 'flippers' are for the hobby. They are not have as bad as the unknowing, gullible buyers who check nothing before paying outrageous prices for cars that are not what a seller claims they are.

Why do you think there is a saying such as 'there is a sucker born every day' ?
"  objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are "

anlauto

I agree, about the sellers point, if he claims the value is because of the V, then he needs to be willing to back it up....

...but my point was....There are buyers in this world where $150K is chump change, and they'll buy this car (maybe) because they think it "looks cool" not knowing even, or caring what a "V" code is.... :alan2cents: I don't think they are necessarily a "sucker" because they paid-up for their dream car...perfect example is EVERY modified, over priced car that's ever gone across an auction block...People are paying $300K for original 318 cars ? :dunno:

I look at this car as a modified car...is it a good investment to buy and return to OE stock....not likely at the price they're asking... :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6pack

Maybe when it sells the new buyer will come here and get an education.

cuda hunter

well,,, if they don't then they are Ill informed....    :pokeeye:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

HP_Cuda

The lack of a fender tag makes me believe this is a Grand Coupe which was attempted to be made into a V code.

Very fishy and absolutely no puns intended.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:bricks:

Quote from: anlauto on May 31, 2022, 02:23:06 PM
In 1970 the interior code is on the fender tag,  it's SRX9 for black leather... I don't think we've seen the tag for this car, but if it's a Cuda with an overhead console, then it was likely order with leather seats.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

benguin

Even without the fender tag, wouldn't the VIN be a "BP" for a Gran Coupe vs the "BS" for 'cudas?    I've got a 340 'cuda with the leather interior and overhead console, and have seen a few others as well.  Recently had a 'discussion' with someone telling me my car was a Gran Coupe I turned into a 'cuda.  (despite the VIN and ownership since '77). 

Still, this one seems pretty iffy in terms of being "a deal" unless it's set up like the buyer wants.  Definitely not for the numbers correct/factory look crowd.

anlauto

I agree, it's more likely an original BS23V0 cuda with leather interior, then it is a Grand Coupe that someone swapped the VIN tag on to try and fool people ??? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

B5fourspeed

A red flag for me is that there is no stainless trim around the tail panel that came with the Cuda.No fish gills on the rockers.No roadlamps.

benguin

Given the 'dechromed/debadged' look, they could have removed it, the tail looks a bit unusual without either style ('cuda or GC) trim back there. 

Seeing the engine shot with the green blower motor and the hood, nothing would surprise me.  Still pretty clean, but it's going to need an owner looking for pre-modified.  Going stock will take a few dollars.

anlauto

Quote from: B5fourspeed on June 04, 2022, 08:08:38 AM
A red flag for me is that there is no stainless trim around the tail panel that came with the Cuda.No fish gills on the rockers.No roadlamps.

There's also no side marker lights, so what's the point ? It's a modified car, so anything goes. :dunno:

HP_Cuda

Alan

Without any legit info this could be a six banger for all we know....

"it's a real V code, take my word for it"   :rofl: :haha:

Quote from: anlauto on June 04, 2022, 07:14:09 AM
I agree, it's more likely an original BS23V0 cuda with leather interior, then it is a Grand Coupe that someone swapped the VIN tag on to try and fool people ??? :huh:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

Well since you or I don't own the car, I guess we can assume all we want.... :dunno:

I personally, assume the person selling the car is telling the truth, I have no reason not to believe this person, when he says:

"I've been asked same question 4 times.:) Yes, THIS IS THE REAL DEAL. This is a BS23V vin car, Meaning a 440 6-pack car from the factory. Only a limited amount of these were made in 1970, Hence the value.  Thank you for your interest."

Kind of hard to step back from that if the VIN tag on the dash and title say anything but BS27V0 ????? :dunno:

70_440-6Cuda

Hey all - I was just directed to this thread!  I pulled the trigger and bought the car for what it is and hoped for the best - it pulls like an absolute monster so that is good news!  It is a V code car and for what I paid I am pretty happy - I took a gamble and think I did ok - I did not pay anywhere near 6 figures.  The car is VERY rust free with a few minor pin holes in the trunk floor; underside and frame rails have never been touched.  It does have 'glass fenders and hood, which made me nervous except the radiator support and cowl stamps have the correct VIN# stamp.  I will say the red flags noted in this thread are pretty accurate and the seller was not very educated about the car or its history and his claims of it being $100k car are definitely way off the mark.  However, the VIN tag and title are both the real deal BS23VB0 code, that with the sheet metal stamps on the radiator support and cowl give me some confidence it is a V code correct car.  Also, I spoke to the seller on the phone and he claimed it was in the family for over 40 years, passed from the grandfather to the father and then liquidated by the grand kids  :rolleyes:; the last title transfer was in 1991 to the owner I purchased it from.  I believe that the previous owner, and the one that made all the modifications, was very proud of this car and not worried about originality (as many of us weren't 20 years ago when we didn't know any better). 

To 6pack's point, I came here to get a bit of education prior to buying - thanks to everyone here!  Considering I have seen 70 'Cudas sell for $15k-$20K that look like they have been at the bottom of a river for the past 20 years,  any 440 running and rust free for $50k +/- was a deal to me.  That being said, I know what I was buying and the lack of documentation will hurt the value overall.  I knew that going in, and I am hoping I have tracked down the broadcast sheet through the Hamtramck Registry (thanks Barry, fingers crossed!).  Looks like the car was originally black, and the headliner and console gave me a pause but they are original - whether to this car or not remains to be seen.  The way the car is set up, I suspect the previous owner restored the car in the '90s (hence the stance, shaved markers etc) with a nod to drag racing.

Immediate plans are to put in original front seats and an original Rallye hood (already have them), some 15x7 Wheel Vintiques Rally wheels and get the ride height corrected. From there it will depend on if I can get my hands on the broadcast sheet.  Either way I will be looking to bring it back to a more original state.  The level of restoration will depend on what history I can uncover so any info and advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks all
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

6pack

Great, you did good.  It was modded the way they did it in the 90's.  Cowl and rad support prove it is ok.  Put the metal back in the front and drive it.

anlauto

Sounds like you're taking the right approach....good luck with the BCS search....one in a million chance...but YOU NEVER KNOW.... :fingerscrossed: