Main Menu

Selling 1971 Challenger R/T V code

Started by JH27N0B, May 03, 2021, 07:50:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6pack

When I was real young I was told, "When you buy as if you would have to sell it the next day quick and still make out ahead."  It is a great rule. That includes the looks, demand, color, price and model.  If you make compromises on that rule, it may be harder to sell it in the future.

RUNCHARGER

These cars are for fun. I buy what I like and screw the future value to someone else for the most part. I think resale is a consideration but a small one. I'm not taking anything with me when I leave this earth so I'm going to enjoy what I have (not saving the wife for the next husband either).
I don't think anything is hurting this car. The world can only stand so many Purple or Orange, 1971 Challenger Six Packs.
Sheldon

Mr Cuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on June 22, 2021, 05:13:29 AM

If I'm still trying to sell it in 2022, the price will be $100,000!  :P
I love dark burnt orange in 70 and autumn bronze in 71.
I prefer 71 Challenger's over 70's also.
So I love this car.
It's a bargain at $89k
Downsides are I only have Plymouth 's  and am not branching out at this point.
Has this found a new home?

JH27N0B

I still have the car, both it and my '09 Challenger are buried away in a storage building around 45 minutes west of me.
I should go visit them!
Spring is here and I need to figure out what to do with these cars.  I really need to find a new home for my '09. I had it on Autotrader last fall and was just getting scammers contacting me and lowball hooptie flipper company Peddle.
Only one serious buyer and he was in FL at the last minute after I'd stored the car and watching for snow any day with winter coming.
As I mentioned in a previous post I don't seem to be able to sell anything anymore.
After I pulled the Cars online ad, 2 guys who'd been sort of tire kickers contacted me and are still interested.
One of them I'd told about a friend selling a 68 Charger R/T and they ended up making a deal.
But then the Charger got some minor damage loading it into a trailer and the deal got delayed while it gets fixed.
He then contacted me saying he was getting cold feet and maybe wants to bail and buy my '71 instead.
I don't want to screw my friend with the Charger over.
Also considering how hot the vintage car market is now, I don't know fair market on my 71 now?
And a vintage car is better to have than deflating dollars.  I'm sort of thinking I don't want to sell the 71 unless I can get something I want more. Right now that would be a 69-70 coronet R/T vert.
It's all too complicated.  I give up!  :pullinghair:

Mr Cuda

I feel your pain.  Then when you finally give in and sell, the market jumps 20%
That's why I just buy, and store. Hopefully drive now and then.
But cars are not jello and there's not always room for more.
Still like the plan on the 2022 price increase. That is a beautiful car.

While there is interest in late model challengers,  they are still too new and suffer from driver quality junk at low price competition.  Out her they are everywhere.

JH27N0B

Believe me if I had room I'd just keep buying more cars until I became one of these guys with a hoard of 100 cars!  But you can only drive one car at a time and it gets hard keeping them all up and running.  In fact, when I went to get the '71 out of storage last summer it wouldn't start.  After a week we finally figured out the reluctor was out of adjustment.  How did that happen?  It wasn't out of adjustment when the car was last parked 1-1/2 years earlier. 
And the starter went bad screwing around with it then, so I had to tear that out and get it rebuilt at an automotive electric place near me. Then I was finally able to bring it home for a while last show and cruise season.
The '09 is a late model car (at almost 13 years old it doesn't seem that late model!), had since new, always garaged, middle aged engineer owned and low miles.  I didn't expect to get hemi cuda money for it, a little over 20K seems fair, but even with a supposedly red hot market for both late model and vintage cars, buyers weren't beating a path to my door.  I don't know if this spring will be any different, or if having 2 cars in storage is my new normal!