Main Menu

1970 Cuda 440 6 pack 35th car made

Started by MasonDaniel7, October 09, 2020, 12:27:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

That would be a great project to put back to stock. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Finoke

Quote from: anlauto on October 09, 2020, 05:09:49 AM
That would be a great project to put back to stock. :twothumbsup:

I agree, very tempting  :banana:

anlauto

$50K might be a little high, if the front clip, interior floors etc... are super clean solid, and you only have to deal with the entire rear clip....somewhere more in the $35K range might be more reasonable.... IF the "race motor", the wheels, the Dana 60, etc... is worth $15K to sell....then maybe :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

The red on red, front and rear elastomeric bumpers is nice, original tag, numbers matching block possibly, all positives...

Column auto, no sheet, no title ....all not so nice... :alan2cents:

6bblgt

8)   very interesting early 1970 'cuda (35th ASSIGNED VIN, not built)  ***  but another FAKE fender tag  :foul:   wonder what it was?  :looney:

Poolshark314

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 11, 2020, 11:13:34 PM
8)   very interesting early 1970 'cuda (35th ASSIGNED VIN, not built)  ***  but another FAKE fender tag  :foul:   wonder what it was?  :looney:

How can you tell its a fake tag?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

anlauto

Years ago, racers paid to have FAKE fender tags made for their cars so that years down the road someone would pay big dollars for them.  :bigmoney:

In this particular case they simply forgot to add N96 for a shaker and D21 for a four speed....OR their car was a 4 speed but they figured they would make the FAKE tag say it was a column shift auto so they could race in a automatic class  :thinking:

anlauto

Going to ad the full VIN number to this thread so that hopefully the person who just paid $50,000 for this car can do a Google search and find out it has a FAKE fender tag :bigthumb:

BS23V0B100035

Finoke

Wow very interesting. Scary buying these old projects. Another concern is buying one with an original engine to find out the engine is unusable. That would suck too.  :bricks:

6bblgt

:thinking:  when did "J54" become a viable code?

cuda dad

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 12, 2020, 01:23:19 PM
I'm confused.  J54 is Sport Hood a.k.a. Twin Bulge hood (part of the 'cuda package).

anlauto

Quote from: cuda dad on November 21, 2020, 07:46:05 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on October 12, 2020, 01:23:19 PM
I'm confused.  J54 is Sport Hood a.k.a. Twin Bulge hood (part of the 'cuda package).

I can't speak for @6bblgt , but maybe Dan means J54 wasn't on early built tags ? I did a Google search and found lots of samples of tags with J54, but not as early as this Cuda ?

Maybe Dan can expand on it ?

cuda dad

I have now seen it mentioned that early LA built cars did not have J54, learned something new.  At least on Challengers.

6bblgt

at the beginning of the 1970 model year the "sport hood" was not an available OPTION on any car

for reference look at the 1969 model year: the ONLY OPTIONAL hood across ALL car lines - was N96 and ONLY on GTX, RR, Super Bee & Coronet R/T (every model had its own STANDARD hood)
mid-year the A12 cars came out with a fiberglass hood as part of the "package" & no special codes were required (similar for the Daytona & 1970's Superbird, 300H, T/A, AAR - a unique "package car" ONLY hood)

1970 debuted with the same format: the ONLY OPTIONAL hood across ALL car lines - was N96 and ONLY on 'cuda, GTX, RR, Super Bee & Coronet R/T (again, every model had its own STANDARD hood)
*** the first hood "fiasco" was the 340 Challenger package "A66" that included the Challenger R/T's "sport hood" (a hood was again part of an OPTION "package", but it was borrowed from an existing model and the hood was missed on some 340 cars)
*** the next hood "fiasco" was Dodge's attempt at a SHAKER hood for the Challenger R/T  :soshelp:
*** next up, some time in October/November the 'cuda's (BS) "sport hood" became an OPTION on Barracuda (BH) & Gran Coupe (BP) and a code "J54" was necessary & "created" (now some BH/BP cars had it - most BH/BP cars didn't)

some early AAR or T/A literature mentions the fiberglass hood as OPTIONAL, by the time production started it was a part of the "package" but possibly the reason the N94 code exists - they would've needed a code eventually for Challenger once the T/A hood was announced as OPTIONAL on other models

J54 shows up (almost randomly) on 'cuda, Challenger R/T, with and without SHAKER (N96), and on A66 & A53 (N94) "package cars" - AFTER its introduction on BH/BP

the J54 "sport hood" was NEVER a stand-alone OPTION on Challenger (1970-'74),  :thinking:  besides some '70s A-body models, 1970-'74 Barracudas are the ONLY cars that had an OPTIONAL "sport hood" - NO Satellites w/RR hoods, NO Charger SEs with "power bulge" hoods, NO Coronet 440s with Super Bee hoods, etc.