Main Menu

1971 Dodge Challenger Convertible

Started by MasonDaniel7, June 16, 2019, 12:27:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

JH27N0B

That car has been discussed previously either here or Moparts but I can't find the thread now. 
Looks to be a bargain and you have to wonder if there are issues beyond the few disclosed in the listing.
But having tried to sell a very nice Challenger in recent times, I have to fight my inclination to jump to conclusions.  It seems to me that it's rare these days for any potential buyers to put much effort into traveling to look at cars they are interested in.  Maybe they will plan a trip to a big auction and spend more than possibly they should have bidding on a car there, but coordinating a flight to someplace and planning an inspection with a private seller is more work than they will put forth?
Also people are more hesitant to use HELOCs or other types of loans to finance mid level cars I believe, compared to pre recession times, so while there are still plenty of rich collectors ready to spend on high end cars, the 25K-100K market is a much tougher area to make a sale.
At least that's my theory.

RUNCHARGER

I agree: I can't believe people would buy something that costs this much without looking at it first, I have sold a few that way though.
It is an interesting car but I am wary of a nationally advertised car back east where the market is not selling. I figure if it was a good deal it would be gone by now. If it was on this coast I would have driven down with a trailer and looked at it already.
Sheldon

js27

I sold both my car on CARS ON LINE and through talks on the phone and a bunch of photo's. Neither one of the buyers came to look at the cars or had them checked out. Both sold for good money. Me personally I would not be able to spend tens of thousands of dollars  on a car without seeing it in person.
JS27

70 Challenger Lover

I'm one of those guys that does make the journey having recently gone from L.A. to Connecticut to inspect a car I did actually wind up buying. One reason for making the journey that doesn't get much discussion is to meet the person you are about to send money to. A lot of people don't know this but once you wire money to an account, it's gone forever. There is no way to reverse it later even if your bank truly wants to help you. Sure you can make a police report and theoretically a detective can write search warrants to examine and trace money but people who scam for a living know how to win. And you could use an escrow company like they use in real estate but the car escrow market is also ripe with fraud so you're better off dealing with the buyer directly.

I was nervous as hell about wiring a stranger $50,000 but after meeting him and his wife at their home and having lunch with them, I didn't give it a second thought. Buying an expensive car across country and getting it home is stressful so removing the stress of the financial transaction was really worth the $800 the trip cost me (flight, hotel, car rental, etc.). I didn't lose one minute of sleep after transferring money to the seller after meeting him. Had I not, I wouldn't have slept a wink.

js27

I did buy my 67 GTX from 5 Polaroid photo's and talking to the owner on the phone a few times. Of course that was only a $2200.00 investment.
JS27

kathyscuda

the color change might be affecting this one

RUNCHARGER

Maybe, car i wouldn't be as attractive in the original colour IMO. I wonder if it sold or just ended.
Sheldon