Main Menu

1971 Dodge Challenger R/T Original V-Code

Started by MasonDaniel7, May 10, 2020, 12:22:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

JH27N0B

We talked about this car last week.  Seller could pay you to take it and you'd still be under water when the restoration was completed.  Bid up over 17K already, I hope it goes to someone with deep pockets who can restore it back to its original glory without having to care much about being deep underwater with it when finished.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/e-body-stuff-found-on-ebay-craigslist-or-anywhere-else/20/ebay-71-challenger-v-code-4spd-ev2/16128/

RUNCHARGER

Really neat car. Lets hope it gets saved properly.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

That's pretty much true for any car of any make that gets restored. Restoration costs a lot of money to do it right. You could give me a rust free Camaro or Dart and no matter how nice the car is, you will spend $30k to restore it nicely and when you're done, possibly still be upside down. If it was only about the money, most cars would never get restored because it just wouldn't add up to do so.

I know I love the restoration process. I enjoy the challenge. As weird as it sounds, I like restoring them more than driving them. Restoration itself is a hobby for me and like most hobbies, it's costly. I'm okay with that. Keeps me from sitting around watching tv.

This car is special though and deserves restoration.

YYZ

What a great combo - 440-6/4-speed/3.54 Dana
Orange with orange/black plaid interior
A pair of elastomerics would set it off beautifully.

In this day and age, one is paying for the right to restore a cool car rather than the project value vs done value.

mike ketterer

sheldon. that car has your name on it. i like it. you should buy it.

RUNCHARGER

Oh I'd like to Mike! I'm just smarter in my old age is all.
Sheldon

anlauto

How high do you think it will sell for ? I remember paying roughly $17K for mine as a project. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I think it will get bid up to $25k and the seller will pull the ad before it ends.
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Yes I'm going to watch it at the end. I prefer purple or B5 on a 71 though, I don't know why, maybe the sales brochure.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 11, 2020, 07:49:00 AM
I think it will get bid up to $25k and the seller will pull the ad before it ends.

Do you think the guy would want more then that ? :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

As a lifelong rust belt resident, I have grown so averse to rot over the years that I wouldn't go near a project that rusty.  It would end up 80% Taiwan sheet metal once restored.  I would have been pleased if someone had offered me 75K for my no rust ever V code to give it a new home.  This one on ebay is a more popular color but doesn't even have its fender tag.  I would think 15-20K is all the money for that one, and whoever paid that to buy it will likely lose interest before its done unless they have a nice stash of parts, and they love to do sheetmetal work and welding in their own garage  to tackle most of the work themselves.

GrandpaKevin

What a cool and rare car. :inlove:

The first few pics looked very promising but the more pics I looked at the uglier and more $$$$ the restoration got.

Couldn't even drop a drive train in that car and drive it as is.

Good luck to whoever buys the car. :twothumbsup:

jeff968

very cool. I owned a 440-6 71 Challenger R/T once. Great project.