Main Menu

1971 Plymouth Barracuda Cuda Convertible, 383, 4spd!!!

Started by MasonDaniel7, October 16, 2021, 12:20:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MasonDaniel7

6pack

Nice to start with but needs a complete restoration  That would bring the total cost and time to wait to actually use it out of the question.  Just my opinion.  Not to many of these cars around which makes it so desireable.  What would anybody like to guess at the true value.

JH27N0B

My guess would be about half his ask.  He's asking a price in the neighborhood of what a turn key needs little to nothing example would bring.
Seems odd so many '71 cuda convertibles come to market compared to '70s.  :notsure:

anlauto

I restored a 383 4speed one just like this, except red with billboards.  If I remember correctly, the owner paid $145K USD for it BEFORE the restoration. The owner is a member here, maybe he'll chime in. There was also an auto version, similar condition that recently sold local to me for $95K USD...
I don't think the asking price of this one is too far out of line  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

It's a labor of love I guess, but that doesn't mean it makes sense financially.  Spend $125K on a car, another 100K or more on restoring it, then you have a car worth $140-165K maybe?  The math doesn't add up, but hey it's only money!
Reminds me of a story I heard last weekend.  A guy bought a '78 Trans Am at one of the Arizona auctions a few years ago.  He has someone pick it up for him, who calls him and tells him the car is a perfumed pig and won't even start, he needs to try and get out of the deal.  Guy says no, I bought it I guess it's mine.
Then he turns around and has a ground up resto done on it, all NOS parts, final bill about $250 grand!
So he's got 250K in a car worth 50-60K.
He's on the board of directors at Microsoft or google or one of the big tech companies so it's not like he's hurting for money.  Car will be revealed at MCACN next month.
So if you are on the board of directors of some large corporation, buy this cuda for $125K, throw a bunch of money in it, and you'll hardly notice a difference in your bank balance!

Matt M

My friend had that car looked at when it was for sale in PA a while back on Ebay.
It was rusty, NOM Engine.
He passed.

ledphoot

that's a sweet car, but yeah, lots of work. Pretty easy to wrap up $200K+ in that car with a $125K starting point. I hope somebody has the kind of money and desire to do it. They don't make more of these cars.

RUNCHARGER

I generally don't like 71's but this one is cool. I like the paperwork, no need to restore this car, just drive it as is. If you spend $100k fluffing it up people will expect it used to be another rust bucket and it will just blend into the crowd.
Sheldon

E74cuda

I'll agree with Brad's restored estimate of 140k-165k. I do like the color but it's not a color that people look for. If it was red, orange or Curious Yellow originally the worth would be much more when restored.

ragtopdodge

I concur.  If it has #s matching drivetrain, $125k if it's NOT a rust bucket, is a fair deal.

I think if you shop around and do disassembly/re-assembly yourself, you can get by with a $60k restoration as I don't see this car needing a lot of parts.

I would of course, do a different color.  Black of course.  B2 is kinda boring.

4-speed and wing are might cool options.

Skdmark

The auction is a BIN of 125k with the option of make an offer.
I would think an offer of 110k would be fair upon closer inspection. Would lower the number if not #'s.
The 22 inch radiator kind of hurts it for me.

There is a shortage of interior shots and a lack of trunk and undercarriage shots
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration