Main Menu

'70 Challenger V Code Original Paint WIW?

Started by Ernie, September 05, 2018, 11:03:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ernie

Thinking about selling my '70 440-6 4 speed V code matching numbers original paint Challenger.  51K original miles, previous owner had Chuck Lofgren blueprint the engine @ 38K cause he thought it burned too much oil.  Love the car but thinking about something different after 20 years.  Pulled the build sheet out of the back seat when I purchased it (delicate job).  Engine compartment was painted when the engine was pulled for blue print.  Remainder of the car is original Hemi Orange with black interior.  External performance parts bolted onto engine when overhauled (manifolds, distributor, etc.) with all original parts retained for reinstallation if desired.  Looking for a bit of advice from the experts.

Thanks,
Ernie

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @Ernie   :welcome:  That is a super cool car!!!!   :banana:   :clapping:   How's the rust on the underside?

Ernie

Underside is clean, but been awhile since I have been under so I will take a look.  The trunk floor is original and solid which is a good indicator.

anlauto

This original paint one is asking around $90K USD, but I think it will be for sale for a long time or remain over seas...
http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/JS23V0B-FOR-SALE.html
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Ernie

Thank you for the welcome by the way!  My manners were lacking there.  The guys Gary at "The Shop Inc" in Iowa told me about the site and that you were THE guy when it comes to E-Bodies.  I met them at Mopars in the Park last June when they were checking the car out.

Ernie

Ernie

Concerning rust on the underside, the resonator heat shields are still hanging on the underside and they were solid if I remember correctly.  Will inspect and update.

Ernie

Thanks anlauto for the info on the similar vehicle.

anlauto

I think $65K-$75K is reasonable.  There's a lot of 1970 V code Challengers to choose from. Survivor cars need a special buyer, someone who is willing to pay a premium for a car that is rough around the edges....More buyers are looking for the restored cream puff .
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Ernie

Ernie

RUNCHARGER

I think Alan is pretty close. These days $50k is the advertised for small engine bondo/AMD cars.
Sheldon

E74cuda

I believe that people that are looking for a survivor type car and are willing to step up want something that is correct in most all details. The lack of originality in the engine compartment hurts. It needs Polyglas tires also. I'd say 55k-65k. It does seem like a nice car. There's a lot of junk on the market that is priced high. That doesn't mean people are paying the prices that are asked.

Ernie

I received every original engine component with the car when I purchased it (manifolds, distributor, rocker covers, fuel pump, even the original air cleaner element, nuts, bolts, washters, etc).  I may replace all leaving the engine compartment totally original short of the paint as I do like original myself.  That said, it is something to behold now in terms of performance and I hate to de-tune that.

I like the original tires also but this thing dynoed at 550lbs of torque @ 3800rpm (510 HP @ 5100) when Lofgren was done with it.  I cannot hold traction with the stickies I have on the car now on warm pavement.  Polyglass tires would really take the fun out of driving this thing.

A more solid Challenger I have never seen.  The pictures do not do the paint justice. These things rotted in half if you over salted your French fries in the back seat.  This is a MN car bought knew out of Jerry Perkle's White Bear Dodge but never saw a single winter.  The interior is all there with the only issue being splits in the drivers seat.  I have been tempted to replace the cover but I continue with the time honored electrical tape patch process which I mastered back in the '70s.