Main Menu

70 RT U code auto project car

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 27, 2019, 04:49:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

I already have a U code project, but curious as to your thoughts on this one. Thinking he's at least 5k high for a 727 LA car. JMO.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70 Challenger Lover

I'm not sure. I think 15k is too low. It might be numbers matching. Blue is desirable. It has AC and power brakes which a lot of people appreciate. Sure it has trunk rust but that probably water coming in around the rear window. The quarters might be pretty good. I think if I wanted a real 440 RT, I could see trying to get it somewhere in the middle but RT projects are drying up so I wouldn't let it go just because it's 15% more then I thought it should be. That will pale in comparison to the cost of actually restoring the car.

7E-Bodies

Can't say I disagree with you but even though I'm skilled in doing my own body work, I look at a cars cost by adding 40k. Then I look to see what perfectly restored ones are selling for. In this case, I'd ask if this car would sell finished for 60k.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70 Challenger Lover

I think that is a very pragmatic way to approach a restoration in general and probably the best way. I could be wrong but I think most people don't fully understand the expense a restoration can run so they look at it different way. I think the average joe wants a car like this because dad had one or his buddy in high school, etc. I think those inexperienced folks see a restoration as costing about $20k. And there are another group of folks who can't afford to buy it finished so they buy it as a project so they can spread out the costs over years knowing it will cost more in the end but being okay with that because they really couldn't do it otherwise.

Most classic cars won't be worth 60k once finished like a U code 70 RT. Picture the 65 Mustang coupe that is worth no more than 20k no matter how perfect the restoration. 15k is more like it. There were so many of those cars that they just aren't worth much unless it's a fastback or something truly special. People restore those lesser cars all the time knowing they will quickly be upside down. Imagine if you were selling grandmas Mustang coupe and a buyer told you the car should be free since the restoration will exceed the finished value of the car.