Main Menu

Anyone Know This Car - WIW?

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, August 30, 2023, 01:51:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

dodj

Reminded me of Mike's (Topcat) car at first glance but his is a hemi.  Sorry I can't help with the history.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70_440-6Cuda

opinions on price if it the paperwork backs up the story?

JH27N0B

Seems a bit sad that the car's restoration was completed 12 years ago and only has 100 miles on it.  The car must have just sat in a collector's garage or several collectors garages gathering dust since completed.
I'm not one of those people who say you need to drive the wheels off a car to prove yourself, but I do think a car needs at a minimum a little exercise from time to time to keep the seals fresh and fluids circulating and such! 100 miles might not have been enough to get everything dialed in and the bugs worked out!
I know people pay nutty prices for 71 cudas but is a V code automatic with a high quality resto really worth $240K?  The best offer I ever had on my 71 V code Challenger 4 speed was 1/3rd of that.

70_440-6Cuda

I agree, having a car sitting around is not for me.  Was speaking with my brother and he asked if I would actually drive... My opinion, why not, it's insured and everything is repairable unless it gets fun over by a dump truck - even then some of the cars I have seen restored are not much more than a VIN tag.  My philosophy is don't be stupid, and enjoy it.  Going to try to do some homework on prior sales, but I thought the price a bit high for an auto.  But it is a beautiful car so worth considering

Mr Cuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on August 31, 2023, 09:20:29 AM
I know people pay nutty prices for 71 cudas but is a V code automatic with a high quality resto really worth $240K?  The best offer I ever had on my 71 V code Challenger 4 speed was 1/3rd of that.
I agree with you fully. Your challenger is the peak. It's a 71,  sixpack 4spd  dana and I like the color.
But 71 Cuda's have eclipsed everything,  and people build clones out of 72 and 3's to the  point of diminishing the impact of a real one.
This blue 6bbl is cool, but 240k for an auto? Not in my book, and I'm Mr Cuda!!
I still think 70 is a way cleaner look, and what got me owning one.

70_440-6Cuda

@ Mr Cuda, what do you think the right price is, again assuming the provenance checks out?

The auto is a detractor for me, but I would assume a 4 speed would be more, so for me a good choice.  I have been thinking about a completed, investment worthy car, and would want a 6 barrel as it is my favorite engine from the era.  I would prefer a 4 speed, but think would be out of my price range.

torredcuda

The one thing that would de-value the car for me is the fully painted undercarriage. I know most like the over-restored look but for me if I were to spend that kind of money (which I will never have) it would have to be correctly restored.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Mr Cuda

When it comes to car values,  I'm not the one to ask.  There are people on here that track auctions,  ebay, and private sales, and by color, options,  etc.
I still remember when these cars were fun, not investments.  But if you want that, show up with an enclosed trailer and a stack of cash.  It's on Ebay for free advertising.
As investments,  I've seen these cars go up, then back down.
More states are trying to tax car sale profits, so keep your receipts.
At some point,  there will be no financial reward. Just the joy of driving it,  as it should be.
Smart money says I sell some cars, but I don't care.