Main Menu

Dash/gauges

Started by 70 Top Banana, March 30, 2021, 05:55:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Top Banana

Hi guys,
Well I brought my recently purchased 70 T/A home. It needs work but looks pretty straight and correct. The car has the Rallye dash and the gauges all look good and not faded. First thing is I don't have a speedometer that works or the tach. The fuel and  amp gauges work and the prior owner installed an after market oil pressure and temp gauge they both work.  The clock does not work either. The dash lights up when you pull the headlight switch on. I assumed the speedometer cable may be broken? I also read there is a printed circuit board behind the gauges that may need replaced?
Any recommendations on where to start to diagnose the issues? Should I pull the gauge cluster and how tough is that to do?
Thanks in advance!,

Racer57

There is no circuit board on these. Its been too long since I pulled a dash to give you a step by step, but you will have to drop the steering column down by removing the two nuts that hold it up and at least two of the 3 bolts that hold it to the firewall. the dash light bar and ash tray will also need removed. It will be alot easier if you remove the seats so that you have plenty of room to maneuver under the dash. Take a LOT of pictures before you pull any connections loose. It will make installation a lot easier. Everything you need can be easily found. When you put everything back together, you will insert the main panel first, then the smaller one with headlight dimmer and windshield washer last. However, you will want to place tape over the edge where the two meet up to prevent scratches. Companies like rosevillemoparts.com can get you any gauges you might need and redlinegaugeworks.com can make everything look like new.

dodj

To test your gauges, Cody has a 'how to' in the resources area.
The clock, you will probably need to replace the guts with new.
As Racer said, no circuit board but there is a 5v limiter. If your fuel gauge is working, the limiter is still good. Your stock temp and oil gauges may just be disconnected?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoMangoBoys

FYI.  I tested my tach by hooking it up to my old farm tractor.  It is a 4 cyl, so the RPM was wrong, but it showed me that the tach was working.  My only other car with an exposed coil was my 57 Chevy and it is hibernating on the top of the 4 post.

70 Top Banana

Thanks guys for all the information. This afternoon I tried to get up under the dash. That was a lot harder to do than when I was 19!  LOL. I was able to find two three prong connectors not attached so I agree there is a couple not plugged in. I will need to pull the drivers seat and drop the column. I think this might be a chore.

Thanks again!