Main Menu

Here's a unicorn, 1970 C code Challenger convertible that isn't a hemi clone!

Started by JH27N0B, August 22, 2023, 10:30:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I'm pretty sure I've seen this one featured in a magazine article or two.  And I think I saw a model someone made of it displayed at the Mopar Nats model contest one year.
Very cool, 90K cool though?
https://www.hemmings.com/listing/1970-dodge-challenger-281475

erik70rt

Makes me miss mine! 

Agreed, 90K is WAY too high for that one.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

7E-Bodies

Pretty hard finding a C code that's not butchered (yes, I said that). Too many people don't realize that testosterone is available in pill format and doesn't need to be obtained by dropping some tank motor home 440 into a classic. These C's are getting as scarce as some of the big money performance E-bodies. Very rare to see one still surviving.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

198D13

For the record, a Unicorn, is something does does not exist, and never has. A convertible with a 198, B code, would be a Unicorn, this car is not.

JH27N0B

Quote from: 198D13 on August 22, 2023, 12:32:43 PM
For the record, a Unicorn, is something does does not exist, and never has. A convertible with a 198, B code, would be a Unicorn, this car is not.

Noun▲
A mythical beast resembling a horse with a horn projecting from its forehead

Noun▲
Something that is rare or hard to find

JH27N0B

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 22, 2023, 12:30:38 PM
Pretty hard finding a C code that's not butchered (yes, I said that). Too many people don't realize that testosterone is available in pill format and doesn't need to be obtained by dropping some tank motor home 440 into a classic. These C's are getting as scarce as some of the big money performance E-bodies. Very rare to see one still surviving.
It would be hard to find any of the R code convertibles that get driven on public roads anymore let alone run hard.
I've seen a lot of hemi and big block clones at cruises and shows over the years, other than maybe the "wow" factor for spectators to see when they are displayed with their hoods open, the powertrain didn't provide much benefit, as the performance requirements for the car to make those trips could be met with 6 cylinder.
Everyone is different as far as what gets them excited to see.  For some it's customization done to improve a car's performance or comfort and that's cool.  But for me, I like seeing original oddball cars, so something like this unadulterated /6 car is just as interesting to me seeing it if it had a R code.
I've seen around 3 dozen R code E body convertibles at shows over the years.  I can only remember seeing a couple C code E body convertibles that hadn't been cloned to something else. So even though more C codes were made, they sure seem rarer now.
If it was 24 years ago and I was walking into a Dodge dealer to order up my vision of the best spec Challenger convertible, with no knowledge of future value, I wouldn't be checking E24 or E74.  I'd be speccing an 340 for my powerplant.

7E-Bodies

@JH27N0B you have spoken my heard exactly. Being on my 9th Challenger as we speak (my first being a C, one being an R), I've never owned a 340 or a 383. Just by the roll of the dice. I've always been intrigued by the 340. The 3 "27" units I've owned hosted two G's and a long-gone N that had received a 70 HP 440 before I obtained it (a JS27N car). The latter being part of the reason I loathe seeing the classics morphed.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green