Main Menu

how to advertise classic and special performance cars

Started by chargerdon, January 17, 2020, 08:03:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Where besides good ole craigslist and auto trader are the best places to advertise a classic or special interest performance car?   

A close friend of mine owned a 2006 Pontiac GTO, and had upped the performance on it with a higher duration camshaft and intake manifold with larger throttle body.  Also, heavy duty clutch and close ratio 6sp tremec, carbon fiber driveshaft, heavy duty axles, and a i think 3.91 ratio posi rear axle.   Its beautiful and has been dyno tested to have over 410 hp at the rear wheels !!   

He passed away with a sudden heart attack last december, and his widow has asked me to help in selling it.  He had no kids, so she is by herself, so want to shield her from tire kickers and young guns who would want to come and take it for a joy ride.   Suggestions please?? 

anlauto

I haven't sold newer cars like that, but I've had good luck with Car-on-Line.com . They currently have two similar year GTO's on there  :dunno: https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/93343
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BIGSHCLUNK

:iagree:  It eliminates lots of nonsense and time wasters. I've used it myself so I'm talking from experience  :bradsthumb:

js27

I also have had excellent results with cars on line. I put both my cars up at the same time. I sold my 67 GTX there within a week with 4 buyers.. My 70 Challenger R/T Convertible was up for about 1 month when I took it off because I thought about keeping it. I had a few bites but nothing serious. I decided to put it back up for sale 1 year later and sold it in a week. $50.00 to post and it stays up until it sells or you remove it.
If you go with ebay you will have to pay them a commission when you sell and it will be hundreds of dollars.
Craigslist is hit or miss and you will get a lot more tire kickers on there.
I would also check out GTO Facebook groups. You get people interested in that type of car and it doesn't cost a penny to advertise.
JS27

72 Challenger

I agree with Carsonline but I would also join a GTO enthusiast forum.
Someday I will have a J0b.

mopartaz

I agree on Craigslist being a p.i.a. I used to have good luck with Hemmings. Was thinking of listing a couple of my cars cars on Ebay but  really don't want to get hammered with the fees . But it IS worldwide.  I just recently sold my BMW M3 on CarGurus without too much hassle, ..What are you asking for the Pontiac? I have some GM friends who might be interested.

HP2

Facebook groups seem to have more traction than Craigslist.  I have not listed there but a couple people I know said it had less tire kickers than Craigslist.

Racingjunk.com also has a street car and classic categories.

Of course late model GTO forums would be good places as well.

chargerdon

Well...i know before he past away he had payed $19,000 for it (low mileage), and since then probably put some $10K into it.   But, i would think that if she could get in the 22-24K range his widow would be very happy... 

It is in great shape, burnt orange in color.

The mods he put into it include:

1) High performance camshaft
2) Headers
3) Intake manifold with larger throttle body
4) New heavy duty clutch and pressure plate
5) new close ratio 6sp tremec
6) carbon fiber driveshaft
7) new heavy duty axles to handle all that power
8) He replaced the axle with i think 3.91 maybe even 4.11 posi.   I do know that with the close ratio tremec 6 sp it still cruised at about 1800 rpm at 65 mph...
9) has a lot of after market gauges installed including an air/fuel mixture gauge, and oil temperature gauges etc.   

10) He had ordered a SuperCharger for it, $7,000 but, his widow was able to have the order canceled.   She cant drive a stick, so, its just sitting in her garage near Raleigh, NC.   

It was dyno tuned and showed 412 HP at the rear wheels.