Main Menu

I want this Challenger convertible at Mecum!

Started by JH27N0B, September 25, 2024, 10:53:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tman, JH27N0B, mtull, TA/Z06/GSXR1100 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

JH27N0B

After 45 years of owning E bodies, it takes a lot for a car to really get my blood flowing as one I'd love to own.
And this one at Mecum Kissimmee is one that gets my attention!
Of course, I already don't have space for the cars I have, and it would take a lot of doing to scrape up enough change to buy a car of this caliber.
But I can still dream...
What is this car worth?  I'm going to guesstimate around $225-250K.  Or am I low?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1128131/1970-dodge-challenger-r-t-convertible/?aa_id=623128-0

70_440-6Cuda

considering I am not much of a convertible fan for the e-body, I have to agree that this one really is a great combination and I would be happy to have it in the garage - for some reason it just sits perfectly to me, and the green and white is killer
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

7E-Bodies

Oh hell yes! And Mod Squad? Double that!
My vanity plate? 70 MDSQD
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Brads70

mtull

Hypothetical Question:  Assuming the V5X and rocker moldings are listed on the fender tag,  would you be disappointed if said options were deleted during restoration?  What if it were a 383 car, same question? 

JH27N0B

Quote from: mtull on September 26, 2024, 08:04:08 AMHypothetical Question:  Assuming the V5X and rocker moldings are listed on the fender tag,  would you be disappointed if said options were deleted during restoration?  What if it were a 383 car, same question? 
Given this car's cool history of being in a popular TV show, I think restoring it to how it looked then was important.
In general, E body restorations have often deleted the side moldings as it's widely felt that they distract from the clean look of the bodies.  But as of late, at least with Challengers, that trend seems to be changing some.  On cudas those moldings mess up the look, on Challengers at least they follow the side contours of the body and aren't especially bad looking.
My Challenger convertible has rocker moldings and I like them.  I am not sure why anyone would omit those in a restoration unless they just couldn't find a nice set to use?

mtull

Thank you @JH27N0B for your opinion, I appreciate you're feedback.  My Challenger has both V5X and rocker moldings.  I keep going back and forth on whether or not to add those options back when the body is restored. I do prefer cars restored to their original fender tag.  With that said I think the Green Challengers with green side moldings look great but not a fan of some of the high impact colors and said side molding.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

71vert340

So here's a question for you about this car. Would you restore it? The rubber inserts on the front bumper guards are cracked. The carpet actually has holes worn in it. The engine compartment paint shows age. The front valance to front bumper is not gapped right. The rear quarter moldings are pitted and dented. The tail light bezels are pitted. The seats show wear on the material and the cording has yellowed/turned brown. Would you leave these items as is or replace these items to how it would have been in the show in 1970?
 Terry W.

mtull

Quote from: 71vert340 on September 26, 2024, 10:27:17 AMSo here's a question for you about this car. Would you restore it?
I would not restore it.   However, I wouldn't have a problem with restoring select mechanical components as needed to ensure the car was safe to drive.

JH27N0B

I wish there was a little more history given in the Wise report attached to the Mecum listing.  He mentions it has the original sheet metal which is nice, but doesn't mention if it was restored.  I assume it has been, at a minimum repainted at some point.  Probably some years back not freshly done.
Older restorations don't turn me off completely if done correctly, not sloppily.  A car that is too nice ends up being something one is hesitant to drive except on and off a trailer!
White interiors are tough.  For a convertible they are nice to have, as a black interior can give you 3rd degree burns when you hop in to drive it after your car sat on a showfield all day!  However, they show dirt and components yellow, other than a fresh resto I don't think you'll find many white interiors that look great on close inspection. Other than replacing the carpet, I would be hesitant to try to get too carried away trying to restore the interior.

71vert340

Maybe I chose the wrong word when I asked the question: "Would you restore it?" I maybe should have said: "Would you freshen it up?" Personally, the car looks a little ragged since it's Mod Squad days. I would keep/store all the original parts I removed. I would make the car mechanically safe to drive. I would get new carpet, new rubber inserts on the bumper guards, new trim moldings all around, Legendary seat covers, new reproduction inside plastic door and quarter panels, new seat back panels, and possibly a new top. This would make the interior look great, which currently detracts from the car. I would consider repainting the engine compartment if the paint in there is not the original paint. This would all make it look closer to it's TV days. I would drive the car since the replaced parts would remove the worry of damaging original parts. Just my opinion.
 Terry W.

MoparCarGuy

The documentation along with a great picture.

RzeroB

Quote from: JH27N0B on September 25, 2024, 10:53:45 AMAfter 45 years of owning E bodies, it takes a lot for a car to really get my blood flowing as one I'd love to own.
And this one at Mecum Kissimmee is one that gets my attention!
Of course, I already don't have space for the cars I have, and it would take a lot of doing to scrape up enough change to buy a car of this caliber.
But I can still dream...
What is this car worth?  I'm going to guesstimate around $225-250K.  Or am I low?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1128131/1970-dodge-challenger-r-t-convertible/?aa_id=623128-0

Unless you are one of "The Brothers" you can't own them all. So you have to ask yourself, "am I willing to give up some of what I have so that I can get this"?? If this car really gets you going, would you consider selling some of what you already have to get it?? You already have some really nice rides, that if sold would more than cover the cost of this car. This auction is almost four months away so you have some time to work it if you really want it. You only live once. Good luck Brad!

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RzeroB

Quote from: mtull on September 26, 2024, 08:04:08 AMHypothetical Question:  Assuming the V5X and rocker moldings are listed on the fender tag,  would you be disappointed if said options were deleted during restoration?  What if it were a 383 car, same question? 

On a Cuda the M25 rocker molding was standard while on the Challenger it was optional and had to be selected on the order for it to be installed. In my observation it is not a very common option - you'll see a lot more Challengers without it than you will with it. IMO I think it looks great. I would definitely put them back on ... if I could find a decent set.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Floyd

That car was in Bldg T at Carlisle this year.  It is unrestored.