Main Menu

Motor Mounts or fan shroud?

Started by Doubleadad, November 11, 2020, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Doubleadad

Really hoping for some advise on this one.  Trying to finish up my 70 Cuda.  Its an original 383 car, when i bought it, it had a nothing 440 in it.  I have since found and built the year correct 383HP, it is now in the car but here is my problem.  The fan is not aligned in the fan shroud (It rubbing on the top of the shroud).  I have the correct 18.5 inch fan, I have the correct fan shroud, I have an aftermarket radiator which bolted directly in the factory location, and the shroud directly to it.   I keep focusing back on the motor mounts, but those appear to be correct as well.  Should be stupid simple to identify, but everything appears to be correct, but the fan appears to be high by about a full inch.  This is my first E-body so i'm no expert.  I don't see any alternate engine mounts?  Any adivse is appreciated.
BS23

RUNCHARGER

My first guess is the aftermarket rad did not place the correct fan shroud in the right spot. Photos are really easy to post here, perhaps you could post a few. The engine mounts are most likely correct, if the engine was an inch low nothing would be working for you..
Sheldon

anlauto

Pretty simple fix, just oblong the top rad mounting holes and move the rad up a bit  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340sport

I agree with Alan. Move the radiator or if possible do the same with the shroud, depending on clearance.

Jay Bee

Quote from: 340sport on November 12, 2020, 07:26:01 AM
Move the radiator or if possible do the same with the shroud

If you go this route (moving rad or shroud) make 100% sure it's permanent, you don't want it sliding back down. I know you're aware of that, I just wanted to stress it.

autoxcuda

Quote from: Jay Bee on November 12, 2020, 07:36:18 AM
Quote from: 340sport on November 12, 2020, 07:26:01 AM
Move the radiator or if possible do the same with the shroud

If you go this route (moving rad or shroud) make 100% sure it's permanent, you don't want it sliding back down. I know you're aware of that, I just wanted to stress it.

Also make sure the radiator cap doesn't hit the underside of the hood.

Clay or something could help figure out the clearance.

You can check not how much clearance you have. This is why the factory radiators have an indentation around the cap neck to keep it from being too high.

And the cheap aluminum champion radiators don't have that indentation. And the radiator cap sits a mile high.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Cudino

Since the fan is sitting high relative to the shroud, another possibility is the transmission mount is too low or collapsed, which would cause the engine to be angled upwards.

- Wade