Main Menu

Vintage 1970 Hemi Cuda Pikes Peak Hill Climb Car

Started by CudaHead, October 29, 2017, 10:24:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

Brads70

:dunno:   race car in vintage looking pictures is a 70, car in hauler has a 72-74 tail light panel?

Spikedog08

Looks like a round tail light car to me . . . Front and back
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

6bblgt

I don't see evidence of 1970 in any pics  :dunno:

maybe it was a '70 car that was updated to '72 (current model) to run in a specific class, or for sposorship $$   :dunno:

ec_co

reply from the seller:

t is very definitely a 1970 cuda bought brand new with a v8 and 4 speed but not a hemi.
The factory engine was taken out and the car was immediately turned into a pikes peak racer with a built hemi ,that were then very easy to find.
It slowly was upgraded through various classes until by 1974 it was a nascar style car seriously lightened and caged with doors welded shut. Also new later model rear panel was riveted in, along with other changes to make it look 73-74. This was to comply with rules like NASCAR had that also applied on the peak, where you could not run a body style that was more than three years old.
If you google pikes peak hemi cuda you will see many pics of it driving up the hill in several paint jobs and builds.
A previous owner believed it to be a numbers match car but nowhere did I claim this.
If it were a numbers match 1970 hemi car I am pretty sure it would be more than $70k
It is a zero rust cuda that has been stored inside its entire life, and the motor I built is a virgin bore NASCAR style 426 with correct Richard Petty intake,NASCAR only 830 cfm carb etc etc.
It really is a good deal for the right person, as close as most People will ever get to driving a vintage NASCAR style car that was actually built back in the day.
Regards
Gino
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

HP2

I used to work with a guy who's uncle used to race a Hemi Cuda of  the Peak. Some of the pics in the  craigslist ad looked familiar, so I dug a bit deeper. BTW, the blue sided with red tail panel is in the '70 sheet metal

More of the story:
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=87736&id=28755

https://bringatrailer.com/2009/03/02/hemi-hillclimber-1970-plymouth-barracuda-426/

GY3R/T

That is one bad lookin intake. :drooling: I would love to put that thing back together and tear up Pikes Peak !!  4 Wheel drift baby !! :stayinlane:

HP2

I think that may be what is called  Rat Roaster intake, but more knowledgable members may be able to correct me on that.

Big question to me would be how gutted is it really? I've read comments that say the doors are simple skins and the cage protrudes into them nascar style, so how extensive is that throughout the rest of the car. I also the know stock car classes on the Peak tended to be pretty purpose built race cars. Add to that the pop rivets panel updates and it could be questionable how good of condition its in. Certainly not a put it together and drive it to the show car like the  craigslist ad conveys.

Chryco Psycho

I believe the Rat Roaster was smaller form the pictures I have seen , that looks more like the big Nascar intake but with a different top , the nascar intake the carb sat lower in the center of the intake [ bathtub] intake

Chryco Psycho

Rat roaster intake is much smaller

69bronzeT5

Could just be me but I don't see $70,000 there  :pokeeye:

Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

Chryco Psycho

HP2

CP, thanks for the clarification. Any of those intakes are pretty damn cool!

They may be playing of the fact that its a factory Hemi Cuda chassis, but, there would still need to be enough of the original shell there to verify stampings, and even then the value is questionable since it is cut up and purpose built and was not a consistent winner with any celebrity association.

But then again I'm a cheapskate and wouldn't pay what a lot of these cars go for these days anyway.

Spikedog08

So I wonder what engine it did come with?  Does it have a fender tag?   :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!