Main Menu

WANTED - My old 1970 Challenger

Started by pyro273, January 03, 2019, 07:10:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I have seen several titles that messed up vin numbers and letters. 
Both could be out there.  However, no Challenger was made at Windsor plant. 
But a title with R on it isn't out of line and could have been corrected during the transferring of the car to another owner. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

pyro273

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 15, 2024, 03:47:37 PMI think this is 0B100423 on facebook currently ...... how close do you want to be?
I'd like to be spot on  :) That said, I couldn't get that link to open. More specifically, my wife couldn't; I don't do social media.

6bblgt

Quote from: pyro273 on June 17, 2024, 05:46:52 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on June 15, 2024, 03:47:37 PMI think this is 0B100423 on facebook currently ...... how close do you want to be?
I'd like to be spot on  :) That said, I couldn't get that link to open. More specifically, my wife couldn't; I don't do social media.

looks like it's not there anymore - it was in CA, project, $20K

pyro273

pyro273

Sorry, this is going to be a long post and I didn't know what the appropriate message icon should be. But

IT'S BEEN FOUND!!! :woohoo:

I have yet to call the current "owner" and that's in quotes because he has a mechanic's lien on the title. What that means for getting it officially titled to me if he will sell it is not clear to me and I don't know the full story on that yet. Info comes from someone who has talked with the guy.

It's no longer burnt orange with the matching interior, it's all black, no white vinyl top. The POS 440 I had in it is gone and it supposedly has a 400 with a 440 crank (425 stroker?). Original transmission could be gone as he has another 727 for it so I don't know if that means it's gone or he doesn't want to rebuild it and I REALLY hope it's the latter. Dash is out of it because of the paint job so who knows if that is still original. Still has power windows and the glass is supposedly all original. I need to ask about the console but hopefully that is still there. It sounds like it's been in the middle of a restomod type of build for the last 20 years or so but the good news is it's been garage kept; no idea on rust and there was a very little bit in the trunk and on the Dutchman if I remember correctly. Original rear with 3.23 gears is still there. 15" rallye wheels are gone :bye: Brakes are now supposedly Wilwood disks all around. Supposedly never been wrecked. There are probably about 1000 other things I need to ask him so suggestions are welcome.

I am at a crossroads, here. It's not the car I remember but the question is now, do I make it so? I have no idea if the fender tag is still there but I'm really hoping so. I need an idea on what a new burnt orange interior is going to run and I'm hoping that since the dash is out of it that it is still burnt orange. Motor definitely has to go and since it's no longer numbers matching a 440 six pack would be my choice. Or, given the low VIN, do I return it to the original L? Need to find out about the electrical harness.  When I get pics, I'll post them. I think it needs to go back to something close to what is was born as but, for some reason, the interior and repaint scares me the most as far as cost goes and I have no idea what he would let it go for in its current condition. There also the mechanic's lien situation so if someone can educate me on that it would very helpful. I know what that is, I just don't know how he can sell it if he doesn't have the title.

Sorry for the steam of consciousness but I never thought this day would come and I've got a lot of mixed emotions going on. I highly doubt it will ever be worth close to what I'll have to put into it but it was also the very first car I owned and it's an E-body, need I say more....

pyro273

Here are some pics if anyone is interested. Someone turned into an R/T tribute. I have a few more of the interior.

Katfish

Unless you have some deep sentimental attachment, you'd spend 1/2 as much buying a completely done car that you could drive immediately.  Versus working on a project for years possibly.
If you hadn't found the VIN, there would be no way to tell them apart.

70 Challenger Lover

I agree. A full restoration is a massive undertaking and you need to consider that it may never be the car you remember. You're trying to rebuild fond memories and having the car again could do more to soil those memories than help you relive them.

And if you try freshening it up without a restoration, you'll end up fixing every hillbilly repair that's been made since you first let it go. It can be very aggravating to find all the little surprises previous owners left and some don't make themselves known until your 100 miles from home.

That said, I noticed you mentioned burnt orange interior. The Challenger I'm restoring was originally burnt orange inside. I love that interior but it's a pain to restore. For instance, dashes come black so you're forced to paint it orange. You can buy it already done but it's still painted. That applies to some other interior stuff too.