Main Menu

Hemi Drive line drop out

Started by farmboy70, April 19, 2018, 09:14:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

farmboy70

I am give serious thought to converting my Challenger to a more modern driveline.
My question is would it be best to sell my entire current driveline as a unit or break it up in pieces?

It is a Indy 472 Hemi, aluminum heads, tremic 5 speed, Dr Diff 354 dana.
I could make it a plug and play as a package, wiring, TTI exhaust,cooling also driveshaft ect.

As we all know there are a lot of expensive parts besides the engine when putting together this type of setup.
I'm thinking maybe sell as a complete drop out for someone ready for a driveline.
Everything has about 6k miles.
What are your thoghts.
Thanks
Dave

Brads70

I'd keep your car as is!  :drooling:  :inlove:  I think you might be going backwards doing that, but that's just my opinion!

farmboy70

Thanks Brad, just kicking around a few ideas. The car has been around a while and it might be time to shake it up.
Dave

anlauto

I'm thinking you would have a hard time selling it as a package for what it's worth. Most people buying a "package" are looking for a irresistible deal.....and like you said, most people don't understand what's involved in installing a Hemi 5spd set-up. When you add up everything you want to sell in the package, you might be surprised at the cost of it too... and your asking price might be a little unattractive to most.....UNLESS of course you are prepared to give it away. :alan2cents:

Would you be able to cover the cost of a Hellcrate.....I doubt it... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

farmboy70

There is a lot to consider. Not ready to give it away.  I need to do a lot of price checking to get a number.
It would also take too long to sell each piece separately I think.
Dave

anlauto

I agree it would take too long to sell separately.....but lets say all the parts add up to $40K ......do you think you'd find a buyer for the package at that price (or close) .....especially now when the trend is moving towards a more modern drive train, the exact reason these thoughts are even in your head...I think it would be a tough sell :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

farmboy70

No I don't think it is 40k ,but not worthless either. Would need someone wanting this setup, and while the trend is new Hemi it is still is a wanted combo.
Maybe I will total it all up and list it and see what happens.
Dave

anlauto

I keep forgetting how cheap things are in the States...up here that built motor with no accessories alone is $25K CDN

72 Challenger

I guess it depends on what your trying to accomplish by swapping that drivetrain?  Although a modern hemi would be a substantial weight savings,  if your looking for a smoother drive why not fuel inject the setup you have now? An engine is just an engine, you could easily make this very streetable with a quality fuel injection set up which would be virtually maintenance and adjustment free? even hide it to look OE. That's my thoughts. I agree with Alan - I think your going to take a bath on it.
Someday I will have a J0b.

farmboy70

A lot is going to depend on who's buying what. If someone is doing a e body then exhaust and wiring ect would work. If not then they may only want the engine and trans.
K frame with Willwood brakes may also be a possibility also.
Dave

6bblgt

used - you're probably talking .50 on the $ for a starting point  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

I would not take your car apart it is fantastic the way it is

Brads70

You have a few cars..... maybe consider another project you could drop your Hemi drivetrain into?
Reduce , reuse, recycle?  :D

RUNCHARGER

I would never tear that up and I think a 426 style Hemi looks so right in these cars. If you want to spin some wrenches I would recommend injecting what you have. If you want to go faster then Procharge it too.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

If the 426 is built right you will have more than enough power without a supercharger  :thinking: