Main Menu

1970 383 challenger convertible fuel injection cam questions

Started by 1970 FM3 Cuda, January 09, 2021, 10:15:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970 FM3 Cuda

I am looking to make my 70 challenger 383 more of a cruiser. I have rebuilt the motor all stock bottom end, and valve train. Stock automatic transmission, converter (2800 stall) power disc brakes I want the car to sound good and run good (not a race car) I also want it to stop so need vacuum. Mild port job on the heads, stock exhaust manifolds, maybe going to headers more for the sound then performance. 
I am thinking of fuel injection and going with this cam and the Holley sniper and accessories, has anyone been down this road?
Cam kit———K21-221-4—-competition cams 256/268, Lift .447/.455, Mopar, 383-440,
Intake———-EDL-7186——Edelbrock
Fuel tank——19-137———-Holley
Fuel injection-550-872——Holley sniper
Holley dist.—-565-305——Holley
Holley ign. Box—556-151—Holley
Holley coil—-556-152——-Holley

Thanks

6bblgt

you are going to want a single plane intake
& you need a cam with more lobe separation and duration looks borderline

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 09, 2021, 11:26:59 PM
you are going to want a single plane intake
& you need a cam with more lobe separation and duration looks borderline

???  I've been running that same manifold & a bigger cam in my 383 for years... My FiTech system has no problem with it at all....  I've heard the single plane manifold theory plenty but when the OE's were using TB injection they mostly were running dual planes on V8's...   If I were building an engine specifically for EFI I'd probably go single plane but if it's what you have, run it, it's fine...  I think when you go port injection single plane has advantages but not really true with throttle body injection...

ledphoot

It's my understanding that these FiTech / Holley Sniper type EFI systems like single plane a little better, but a number of people are running dual planes just fine.

My small block stroker has a Comp Cams XE284 Cam 240/246 @.050 .507/.510 lift and an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake under the sniper EFI system. I did put a Canton Racing 1"  85-160 Phenolic Carb Spacer on it the intake to help with the issues tuning on some dual plane intakes, which then requires a drop base air cleaner to cleat the hood :) She runs fine, but I haven't really had a chance to DRIVE the car yet other than in / out of the shop.