Main Menu

1970 426 Valve Covers

Started by 6pack, April 08, 2019, 06:41:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6pack

I am picking a car up this week and the Valve covers are chrome.  This is my first Hemi.  The Engine is a transplant from a 1970 Daytona.  Were any of them chrome from the factory or were all the black wrinkle finish.  There are only 200 miles on the rebuild.  Most of the engines I see on the net seem to have black ones.  Any comments are appreciated.

RUNCHARGER

Wrinkle black. This style, not the style with breathers sitting on pipes on the covers.
Sheldon

6pack

Thanks, that is what I thought.  I'll probably swap them out in the future.

Topcat

:iagree:

Engine in the car 1970' 71' covers were black.

Suppose you were a registered Nascar driver race crew owner and ordered an engine.
Or a Drag racer from back then.

What were those engines delivered with? Chrome?
Breathers were used more for racing than PCV systems.

6bblgt

wrinkle black & what's the partial VIN stamping on the block?  :clueless:

6pack

I did not pick it up yet.  It is a days drive to get it.  I will post it when available.  I noticed there weren't many Hemis for a Daytona made.  I am only going by what was told by the seller.

fc7cuda

It looks good with the chrome, congrats on the purchase.  :banana:

6pack

Thanks, it is a 70 Road Runner.  I wanted a 70 challenger with a Hemi but everyone I chased got sold to quick.  So after looking for several months I picked this car.  I wasn't after a born with car so they sell fast if the price is good.  I still will keep my Cuda that is a keeper.  This one is a true N96 car as is the Cuda.  It just happened that way just wanted a Hemi.  Some more pix.  Now I have about 4-5 hours a day free instead of looking for a car.

js27

Very nice looking Road Runner-Best of Luck with it.
JS27

RUNCHARGER

Nice car. It has the 66-69 style valve covers on it.
Sheldon

6pack

Thanks RUNCHARGER for the info.

blown motor

Congratulations on your purchase. 70 is the best year for the RR and that one looks sweet.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

:iagree:  I'd love me a 70 as well!  :drooling:

ScottSmith_Harms

If shopping for 70-71 Hemi VCs avoid the repros, they are junk.  .02

headejm

That's a beautiful RR! Love the RR dust stripe they put on those. Only Chrysler would do something cool like that. Pretty much everything about a RR is fun.  :ohyeah: