Main Menu

1970 Barracuda Convertible Interior Lighting

Started by Mopsquad, June 07, 2019, 09:59:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

Just wondering, where are the interior convenience lights on my '70 convertible. I have no lighting right now.  No A01 group. 

Any underdash lights, rear passenger (I see some lower panel slats)?

TIA

anlauto

All 1970 convertibles came with a map light located under the dash on the passenger side. Unlike the A01 light group this light does not have a separate switch, it's controlled by the door jamb light switches and the dash dimmer switch. Also all convertibles have lights on both sides in those "slots" you noticed on the rear interior panels. Those lights are controlled by the same switches.
If you remove your rear interior panels, I'll bet you'll find the wiring laying there.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

Alan, is this true for 1970 convertibles only? My 71 c convertible has a map light switch located on the bottom of the dash frame.
Terry

anlauto

Yea I should have clarified, in 70 only there was no switch, they used a A01 map light switch in 1971. At least with the convertibles I've restored  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mopsquad

Quote from: anlauto on June 07, 2019, 10:07:40 AM
All 1970 convertibles came with a map light located under the dash on the passenger side. Unlike the A01 light group this light does not have a separate switch, it's controlled by the door jamb light switches and the dash dimmer switch. Also all convertibles have lights on both sides in those "slots" you noticed on the rear interior panels. Those lights are controlled by the same switches.
If you remove your rear interior panels, I'll bet you'll find the wiring laying there.

Thank you for that info.  I'll hunt for the underdash light and/or wiring.  Is it a big undertaking to remove the rear panels to access the lower lights?  Is there a quick trick?

TIA

worthywads

Quote from: Mopsquad on June 07, 2019, 12:39:53 PM

Thank you for that info.  I'll hunt for the underdash light and/or wiring.  Is it a big undertaking to remove the rear panels to access the lower lights?  Is there a quick trick?

TIA

No undertaking at all, with the lower back seat removed, push backwards and up, then you can remove the 2 upper long screws from the panel and the door sill panel and 1 or 2 lower screws on the panel and it the panel should slide right out and you will hopefully find the wiring which with a bulb is inserted into the panel behind the slats.

70 Challenger Lover

So the 70-71 convertibles do have underdash courtesy lights in the front cockpit areas? I noticed on my 71 vert that when either door is open, there is light in the back footwells but it's completely dark up front. I have the map light with switch but when I stuck my head under the dash area, I found no other courtesy lighting. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there or not.

Cuda_mark

I wouldnt touch my rear convert interior panels out of fear they would crumble!

Mopsquad

Quote from: worthywads on June 07, 2019, 12:49:34 PM
Quote from: Mopsquad on June 07, 2019, 12:39:53 PM

TIA

No undertaking at all, with the lower back seat removed, push backwards and up, then you can remove the 2 upper long screws from the panel and the door sill panel and 1 or 2 lower screws on the panel and it the panel should slide right out and you will hopefully find the wiring which with a bulb is inserted into the panel behind the slats.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Mopsquad

Checking out my underdash (see pic), it appears that I have no map light bezel, light housing, toggle etc.
Here's a pic of where I think the toggle, and housing is supposed to go. Can someone help me
With the exact location and what goes where. Possible provide me with a photo. There are several map light assemblies for sale about the internet.  I want to purchase the correct configuration.

Much appreciated

Steve K.

anlauto

1970 Convertible MAP light without the A01 light group does NOT have a toggle switch. It uses the same light with a unique wiring harness that ties it into the door jamb light switches.

Here the two holes it uses, one for the screw and one for the dowel pin.

Mopsquad

Thank you!  So it does not use the chrome "map light" bezel?

Just the black bulb housing and it auto goes on with the door jam switch?

TIA.

anlauto

Correct, there's no ''MAP LIGHT'' switch whatsoever with a non-A01 equipped convertible  in 1970...

Chryco Psycho

I would look at using LED bulbs n there & behind the 1/4 panels  , brighter light & no heat & they will last forever too .

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on June 26, 2019, 01:04:00 PM
Correct, there's no ''MAP LIGHT'' switch whatsoever in 1970...

Really? Might want to preface that with depending on the options... My old \6 vert had no switch... My R/T does so I'd say it depends....