Main Menu

1970 challenger trunk light switch?

Started by Ashoulders1995, July 09, 2018, 07:11:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ashoulders1995

Does anybody know where i can find the switch that mounts on trunk lip that controls the light in trunk. Mine is busted and i would like to have this feature being the car came with from the factory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day.

1 Wild R/T

E bodies don't use a switch on the trunk lip... The use a mercury switch which is part of the light assembly... If yours has a switch someone likely adapted a B body light....

Ashoulders1995

i wonder if somebody has a picture of what it is supposed to look like?

screamindriver

1 Wild R/T

Here ya go..

Ok.. Screaming Driver was faster & has a better picture....  :rofl:

Ashoulders1995

Thats exactly what I have but near the trunk weatherstripping there was a small switch that looks like a small door jamb switch. So where is the switch actually located?

1 Wild R/T

The lower portion of the light has mercury inside it... When the angle of the trunk lid is right the mercury completes the circuit....

Ashoulders1995

ok I havent taken the tail light assembly apart yet,  I was just trying to make since of the jamb switch. There were no wires connected to it but the trunk light did have a splice in it which made me think that they bypassed the switch but that would not make since because the light would always be on.

screamindriver

Don't ask me how I found that pic so quickly usually it's a battle...   :haha:...Here's the wiring diagram...

Ashoulders1995

So the mercury switch is located inside the light socket itself?

1 Wild R/T

Ashoulders1995

ok sorry for the confusion im still learning about the car. Thank you for all the helpful information and your patience.

1 Wild R/T

Alls good, you learn by asking questions.... At least you know enough to ask... The rest will come with experience.. :drinkingbud:

Ashoulders1995

The bad is though, I now have a 3/8" hole to fill in. Oh well its my dream car and it wouldn't be any fun if I didnt have something to restore or make look better then it was.

1 Wild R/T

Yup... Someone didn't understand how the light worked & added a switch... You get to undo their mistake... It could be much worse....