Main Menu

1970 RT Body Side Moldings

Started by 7E-Bodies, May 27, 2019, 07:49:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Hello All...I'm currently restoring a very well preserved JS23U0B car with mostly original parts and low miles.  All numbers matching car, so I'm hell-bent on going back all original per build sheet.  The previous owner did a great job removing the body side moldings, and welding up the holes.  He supplied them with the car along with several (some NOS) spares.  Here's the dilemma: the vinyl/rubber strips appear almost black.  Should the V5F be the pale green rubbers or the dark ones I have?  Here's a copy of one of the two build sheets from the car and thanks in advance for any help, links or info.

Kevin in Illinois
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JS29

F is the code for green, but what shade. perhaps@6bblgt Would know. 

6bblgt

I don't have the answer, but
just because the '70 Plymouth E-body green mouldings were light green doesn't automatically indicate the '70 Dodge mouldings were the same color/shade of green

anybody have green V5F Challenger mouldings on their car or in their parts collection?

I'll bet you are going to have to accumulate a good number of pieces to put together a useable set of 6 pieces with nice aluminum sections and inserts in a matching shade of green (probably dying them for consistency) nice long quarter panel pieces will be the most difficult to acquire.  They can always be cut short for a fender or a door.
that being said I'd investigate/dissect the interior color of a nice short piece of the vinyl moulding that appears to be GREEN to see the core color.

if you cut a damaged quarter insert piece it can still be used for a fender or door, and a fender can be cut for a door, etc.

1 Wild R/T

Back in the 70's the insert use to be available in 50' rolls since lengths of straight aluminum channel was also sold aftermarket & commonly installed at used car dealerships... 

Thinking about it at the dealership I worked at back then the guy that was the local PRO detailing products rep also carried that sort of stuff... If you know any detailer who have been at it since the 70-80's you might talk to them.... 

7E-Bodies

Dying them would be great if I had more info on what tint and product to dye them with.  This one has me stumped. 

F8RT

Mine also had side molding. Mine were a light green insert. I tried for months to find some. If I found the metal I needed, you couldn't find the vinyl. I ended up welding up the holes. It was like a $12 option in 1970. Stephens performance had some that was missing vinyl they wanted $1600 for the 6 pieces. I can live without it for that kind of money.

6bblgt

V5_ was a $29.45 OPTION on a '70 Challenger (was it discounted on an  A66 or R/T car?)

it was also part of the A05 "Challenger Protection Group" at $57.90 ($43.25 on an A66 or R/T car)

1 Wild R/T

7E-Bodies

@F8RT I guess I'm sitting on a gold mine then.  I have all 6 in either NOS or easily restorable condition, and at least 4 extra pieces. Most in blue (with the faded Mopar wrappers still on them) or black.  It looks like I could heat-gun the inserts and loosen the glue to remove/clean/re-dye/re-glue.  The problem is that I have absolutely no clue or valid indication of the tint of green V5F calls out.  I was hoping someone would have a dealer option document that'd give me a clue, or better yet a car with them on it or some stashed.  I'm far from needing them, but I'm sensing I'd better make it a mission now if I want to restore to original.  After perusing some of @6bblgt postings regarding F8 1970 RT's, it would appear by his records that this may be the only car optioned this way (notice I didn't use the hated 1 of 1 claim).  After finding this option package is so lonely (lets call it), I'm determined to finish the car to original.

6bblgt

here's a video of an EF8 Challenger R/T with green body-side-mouldings, I don't know how accurate the color is - but it looks light pale green, almost yellow in the video  :rubeyes:

6bblgt

and an email reply from a friend

QuoteI don't have any but I've seen NOS ones in packages. The insert is a pale light olive green colour.

7E-Bodies

@6bblgt a huge thank you for this.  I see this car is in the Brother's Collection.  Is the fender tag for this car on anyone's database?  I'd like to see that it shows the V5F and then we will have nailed it.  As suspected, V5F may well be the same color that was on my other 70 RT that was FF4 code paint.  They were also a greenish white, pale green if you will.  Another question.  I nabbed a screenshot of some of your stats on the EF8 RT's in 70.  Those stats show that I'd have a one of one optioned car.  If so, is this hemi convertible not included since it'd be a JS27?  If not, the hemi car's side molding code might be different, thus proving your stats.  I'll attach that snip from your post as well as a pic of my old FF4 coded 70.  Please note that my old one had only 28,000 miles and was stored indoors almost always.  I can tell you that those molding inserts would yellow with sun and age.  Mine were a pure milky white/light green with no yellowing (and I have no records of the fender tag codes).  Thanks a ton for continuing to help me.

Kevin

6bblgt

@7E-Bodies

just be aware that covers ONLY 37 EF8 R/Ts that I have info on, out of almost 1,300 EF8 Challenger R/Ts (JS23, JS27, JS29 combined) that would be <3% accounted for

using those numbers there should be around 34 EF8 R/Ts with V5F & the HEMI Challenger R/T would be one of them (but EF8/V5F could easily be 1/2 or twice that total; 15-70)  :dunno:

1 Wild R/T

Also V5- was included with A05

6bblgt

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 13, 2019, 01:36:14 PM
and an email reply from a friend

QuoteI don't have any but I've seen NOS ones in packages. The insert is a pale light olive green colour.

my follow-up question:
do you think it was the same shade as the green vinyl stripes for '70 (AKA "ledger green")? & the green Barracuda mouldings (or are they a different color)?

QuoteVery different colour than both of those.

he's looking for possible pictures, and he added the Challenger V5B "blue" is different than the V6B vinyl stripes & Barracuda V5B