Main Menu

1970 versus 1971 E body differences

Started by 69CudaFan, June 02, 2018, 04:21:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

69CudaFan

I know there are subtle differences between the two years (crumple zones, VIN stamps, etc).  What sort of E Body differences am I looking at with a cuda from 70 or 71, and also auto versus 4 speed.  0E indicates 70 from the LA plant (if the info is correct in the tutorial), and IB would a 71 from Hamtramck.

Are there other things date coded that I should be looking for? I am trying to critically evaluate a potential purchase. 

Any pics and info would help.  I think on 71s there is a little hump in the passenger side inner, as well as crumple zones in the hood? Any other details (other than the obvious grille/headlight buckets) that I should be looking for?  Sorry if this seems like a newb question.

@anlauto @Mymcodebee @6bblgt @Cuda Cody and anyone else may be able to deep dive into this topic.

Thanks!

Chryco Psycho

Even though the cars are very similar almost everything was changed ,
a lot were obvious such as grille,  tailights , turn signals , front valance .
Most were less obvious , Inner fender stampings , vented vs non vented fuel system , dash pad , outside rear view mirror , console , vent knobs etc , cowl vent inserts ,  a lot of parts were changed with a lot more interchange 71-74 , it does not make a lot of sense as to why most parts were changed , recreating a part that already existed was costly without a lot of benefit in most cases .

Cuda Cody

Feel free to post as many photos as you like and we'll be happy to look them over.  There are many running changes that happened that cross over on those years. 

The front frames changed from 1970 to 1971+.  They put a square alignment box / hole on the front that was not there on a 1970.

anlauto

There are literately 100's of differences in the sheet metal alone that change between 1970 and 1971+ models...

That's why when somebody mistakenly uses a 1971+ shell to rebody a 1970 car, it's very easy to determine.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

also be aware that some of the changes were not specifically 1970 VS. 1971, some were simply running changes

during '70 model year *** crush zone hoods
during '71 model year *** fuel vapor return line "divot" LH inner fender
during '71 model year *** notched (in anticipation for '72 grill) front fenders

rockers, floors & trunk floors are different

1 Wild R/T

Parking brake....Dash Pad.... Cowl vent screens..... Windshield washer bottle..... Slap Stik.... Big Block Dual Snorkel.... And on and on............

Ns1aar

Morty426

OK - I'll be your huckleberry

These are the changes that exist between a 70 and 71 Challenger.  For the cuda they are fewer since a lot of Challenger parts were converted to Barracuda parts in 71.  All these changes were probably for cost savings. 

Rubber Filler for bumper corner
Grill
Headlamp Buckets
Fenders
Challenger Fender Script - from 3 pins to stick on
R/T Fender Script - from 2 pins to stick on
Frame Rails, Front
Hood - crumple zones, no DODGE letters, larger bolts
Hood latch - One piece to Two piece
Hood Hinges
Engine Cowl
Cowl Screens
Doors
Door whiskers
Dash Pad
Outer speaker grills
Dash Bezel by heater control
Dash Bezel by radio
Radio
Vent controls
Gauges, no Rallye
Dash Wiring Harness
Engine Wiring Harness
Fuel Lines
Seat belts
Seat backs
Headliner - 5 bow to 4 bow
Emissions Tube
Emissions tube covers
E brake cables - all of them except maybe the front
E brake cable to rear frame rail brackets
Floor Pan
Rear valence
Rear valence mounting brackets - eliminated for 71
Deck Lid
Filler Neck
Gas Cap
Deck Lid Spring
Deck Lid Support Bracket
Taillamps
Taillamp Wiring Harness
Bumpers - late 71s have 72 bumpers
Quarter Panel end and deck lid trim

That's a list off the top of my head and I'm sure I missed a few. 

69CudaFan

The reason I asked earlier was because I was onto a car that I thought was suspect, and come to find out the back half is all 1971 and the front is front is from an LA built 340 4 speed.  The car was done a long time ago.  Thanks for all of the information.  I really appreciate the incredible knowledge base this site provides.

Thanks!

RJChallenger

It would be easier to list all the parts that were the same. Almost all the parts are different. If they didn't change the part,they changed the finish. I've been collecting parts for over thirty years , kept the best looking pieces , sold the other stuff. When I went to install something I had to drill holes or modify something. But I wouldn't want any other year car

Morty426

Quote from: RJChallenger on June 07, 2018, 02:07:15 PM
It would be easier to list all the parts that were the same. Almost all the parts are different. If they didn't change the part,they changed the finish. I've been collecting parts for over thirty years , kept the best looking pieces , sold the other stuff. When I went to install something I had to drill holes or modify something. But I wouldn't want any other year car

Oh I think there are still more parts stayed the same.  I also think Challenger was worse than the Barracuda for changes.