Main Menu

1971 340 - Stock Rebuild - Carburetor Recommendations?

Started by Yellow71Cuda, December 20, 2023, 12:21:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Yellow71Cuda

Hi all!

So, I will be having my original TQ restored eventually, but since there will be an extended wait time...I will need to purchase a reliable carburetor for first start, cam break-in, and all-around general street cruising. 1971 340, stock rebuild, 4-speed, factory intake/exhaust manifolds, and mild cam. 

Are there any good (new) replacement carburetor options out there? Can I please get some recommendations?

I appreciate any and all wisdom shared on this board!  :thankyou:

John     

MoparLeo

A big factor is what intake manifold are you going to use ? The Fcatort T-quad type or aftermarket ?
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: MoparLeo on December 20, 2023, 01:15:01 PMA big factor is what intake manifold are you going to use ? The Fcatort T-quad type or aftermarket ?

Good point. I apologize. Factory intake and exhaust manifolds. 3.23 rear gear ratio. Street cruising only.   

Bullitt-

Be aware of the different flange bolt patterns, an adapter can solve.

Thermoquad is a Spread Bore                 

Some brands nave dual pattern that negates need of an adapter

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Yellow71Cuda

Has anyone had any good experiences with a specific carburetor on a stock 340 other than the factory TQ (which seem very hard to find currently)?   

dodj

I don't have a 340, but I can recommend quickfuel carbs. I have a Black Diamond 850cfm street series on my car. It is very tuneable with there being every adjustment you could need. Similar to this...
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/street/parts/HR-750
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

EV2RTSE

No firsthand experience but if I were ever to replace the TQ on my 73 340 I think I would try a Street Demon -

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/street-demon-750-carb-review/

"The Street Demon is not a remake of a Carter Thermo-Quad, though it takes some of the TQ's best features and in many ways improves on the design".

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

A friend bolted on one of those Street Demons on a 440 and he was happy with it. It even looks somewhat like a TQ.
Sheldon

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: torredcuda on December 22, 2023, 05:49:12 AMOn sale - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-1904?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInN6awJejgwMVYWdHAR22RQIvEAQYASABEgK23fD_BwE

I saw that...thank you for sharing!

We may have a winner. I just want a good running reliable carb which bolts up to my stock 340 intake manifold until I can get my original Thermoquad rebuilt/restored (someday soon I hope but may take many months or more?). I "think" the Demon might check those boxes.