Main Menu

70 base Challenger 318 with power bulge hood factory?

Started by Nepagarage, February 10, 2022, 09:45:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Nepagarage

I know this is often debated, but the newest threads I've found on it are nearly 10 years old. Has there since been a definitive answer?
My 1970 Challenger project "appears" to be all original and as it left the assembly line. It's just a base model with a 318. It has the power bulge hood that as far as I can tell is original to the car. I've heard many people say you simply couldn't get the power bulge hood with that engine that it was either RT specific or at least had to be a 383 or larger engine to option that hood. I have the fender tag for this car, though I should say what's left of the fender tag as most of it is illegible. This hood is a perfect color match and the wear is very consistent with the rest of the car so if it was swapped it would have had to be done very early in its life. The car was a relatively early 1970, being built in October of 69.

6bblgt

the power bulge hood was NEVER an OPTION for the 5-years of the Challenger

1970 - included with JS or A66 ONLY
1971-'72 - included with JS or 340 engine ONLY
1973 - included with A57 or 340 engine ONLY
1974 - included with A57 or 360 engine ONLY

6bblgt

is it an early '70 model year hood?  does it have emblem holes on the bulge?

Nepagarage

Here are some pics I just took this morning

CHL2T

Crumple zones are the first clue that it's 71 or later, hood pin holes the second.... I would bet a swap early on from a car of the same color

Nepagarage

Thanks. I didn't know about the hood emblem holes being a thing. I thought all the hoods had that. I knew the crumple zone was later (I thought mid year 70) but tbh I never looked to see if my hood had them lol

6bblgt

Quote from: Nepagarage on February 11, 2022, 08:57:51 AM
...... I didn't know about the hood emblem holes being a thing. I thought all the hoods had that........

if the 318 car had hood emblems, what would they say?

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 10, 2022, 09:50:22 PM

Does the same hold true for Barracuda's ? I don't think so.. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on February 11, 2022, 11:08:53 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on February 10, 2022, 09:50:22 PM

Does the same hold true for Barracuda's ? I don't think so.. :thinking:

NO

Nepagarage

70/6chall

Hi hobbyists Slant6 E-body Al here, I know of power bulge hoods on JS 70 Challengers and the various characteristics of the differences between the early and later hoods. Personally I've never seen one on a 318 or a Slant6 car. But since I think the hood on its own merits sets the performance theme of the E-body Challengers this reason and the price spurred me to purchase the power bulge hood I have on my Slant6 car. The original engine call outs were "383 Magnum" so a true 70 model hood. Now on a 6-cylinder well why not.

Nepagarage

erik70rt

Quote from: CHL2T on February 11, 2022, 08:39:50 AM
Crumple zones are the first clue that it's 71 or later, hood pin holes the second.... I would bet a swap early on from a car of the same color

Unfortunately, that's not true.  The crumple zones did appear on late '70 production. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

worthywads

Quote from: 70/6chall on February 11, 2022, 09:48:50 PM
Hi hobbyists Slant6 E-body Al here, I know of power bulge hoods on JS 70 Challengers and the various characteristics of the differences between the early and later hoods. Personally I've never seen one on a 318 or a Slant6 car. But since I think the hood on its own merits sets the performance theme of the E-body Challengers this reason and the price spurred me to purchase the power bulge hood I have on my Slant6 car. The original engine call outs were "383 Magnum" so a true 70 model hood. Now on a 6-cylinder well why not.

Sweeet, I did similar, combining a 360_Four_ Barrel and a 440_Magnum for a 360_Magnum.  It is a later 360 Magnum hydraulic roller motor.