Main Menu

1971 Challenger R/T 383 JS23N1B127352 - SOLD at Mecum (4/15/2023)

Started by MoparCarGuy, January 15, 2023, 05:52:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparCarGuy

There was a Green Go 1971 Challenger R/T JS23N1B127352 Automatic that sold at Mecum today (4/15/23) for $82,500. Car presented fairly well with original-looking exterior. It had a lot of great mods. 496 Stroker 440 with added 4-Speed, Holley Sniper EFI, Dakota Digital Rallye Gauges, and 3" exhaust plus other tasteful mods but still kept the exterior looking original. I did find it odd that a factory TX9 Black car with no vinyl top would have been changed to FJ6 - Green Go and have an added V1X - Black Vinyl Top. They did a great job but black cars are rare and desirable. To each his own, I guess.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0123-533791/1971-dodge-challenger-rt/

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

To each their own. I would have gone with what was on the tag. It was a sharp looking ride when it rolled out of the factory.
I hope the new owner enjoys it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

RUNCHARGER

Nice car either way, too much money for it not being perfect and to the tag though IMO. Frequently these auctions seem to cater to eye appeal more than collector value I think.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 16, 2023, 08:18:34 AM
Nice car either way, too much money for it not being perfect and to the tag though IMO. Frequently these auctions seem to cater to eye appeal more than collector value I think.

You kinda wonder if a car like that, with a price like that, is being bought up by a dealer with really high hopes for a resale, or an enthusiast who is "new" to Mopar and hasn't done much research  :dunno:  OR just some Dude with a lot of money to burn ? :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

The auction results are hard to understand.
Some nice cars go for far less than we'd expect.  Others go for far more.
Some cars that go cheap have "issues" like we saw with the '71 hemi Challenger that barely exceeded $100,000.
Others seem to be the results of two rich guys who "had to have it".
I believe some high sales are the result of auction shenanigans and games.  Some cars sell that apparently don't actually sell, as you'll see them listed again at future auctions.
I'm wary of auctions. But at the same time I've thought of listing a car at an auction as I've come to the realization I'm not cut out to sell cars, and auctions seem to have become one of the few games in town to sell collector cars.
I'm interested in some future purchases, and good rare Mopars are hard to find except at auctions.
But even feeling knowledgeable I'm not sure I could buy a car at auction without getting screwed.

RUNCHARGER

Pretty much how I feel. I don't consider myself "lucky" so I wouldn't take a chance selling via auction and selling privately can be painful. I might consider buying at an auction though but would want history on where the VIN tag had been riveted during it's history. I think I'll take a chance and wait for a survivor style car that I trip on one day, matching #'s drivetrain is not a big deal to me, but a VIN tag that's never been pried out of it's original shell is.
Sheldon

YYZ

I agree with most of what @JS27N0B and @RUNCHARGER have said

In the same vein, though, the older I get, the more I realize that the benefit of a no reserve auction is that the item does actually get sold. Sometimes for not as much as one wants, or sometimes it's a jackpot. Just like the Scat Pack sign for $30K