Main Menu

1971 Cuda 340 "Blue" painted motor w/ Shaker hood pics needed

Started by 76orangewagon, June 23, 2017, 04:50:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Marlin Primo has a 71 340 Cuda Convertible Shaker with a blue engine....  He bought it off a used car lot around 73-74.... It was pouring rain, he saw it, liked it, bought it... Then when he went to drive it away found out it was a convertible..... 

Marlin also owned the Black Hemicuda the the White billboards & White painted roof... And a few other really cool Moparts....

Shane Kelley

My July of 71 340 Road Runner is a blue motor car. But if I was doing a pure correct restoration and my car was on the bubble I would be going orange. The blue just looks mundane to me. Orange just says performance. IMO  You can do hours of research and the fact is "nobody" will be able tell you with 100% certainty what your car rolled out of the factory with. With the exception of the original owner. Mopar just did way to much random stuff.   

anlauto

I had a customer who was the original owner of his 71 340 Challenger.....He said he was so pissed off when it showed up at the dealer with a blue engine he almost refused to take the car....was trying to make the dealer paint it orange but they wouldn't.....
46 years later it's orange now.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

76orangewagon

For what its worth I picked up set of 1971 exhaust manifolds that are date coded 1 27 71 and 1 15 71 when I removed the passenger side from the Evaporust I noticed that the heat riser counterweight had factory blue paint on it that's the closest set of manifolds to my build date 430 that I could find. The blue might be a nice contrasting color to the orange engine bay but since there is no definite answer Ill have to see when the time comes to freshen up the motor what color it will be.

Shane Kelley

Anybody know when they switch to that style of exhaust manifold?

anlauto

I believe all 71's had those manifolds :dunno: I guess Scott would know
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

76orangewagon

Here is where part of the heat riser counterweight soaked in the Evaporust for a few days when it was still attached to the manifold trying to free it up......definitely Blue.

ScottSmith_Harms

culp71

I know this isn't a shaker but maybe help somewhat...
http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/1971-CUDA-FOR-SALE.html
I have got more info from Alan's website pictures from his "past restorations" than any other source

Shane Kelley

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on June 27, 2017, 12:51:30 PM
Yes all 71 340 ebody cars had. those manifolds.
@ScottSmith_Harms

Do you think any of the early builds had the other style?  The casting date is 1/70 on the motor and trans in my 71. Had headers when I got it so I have no clue. Just curious.

ScottSmith_Harms

No, I do not think any 71 340's received 1970 style manifolds.

There's always the "Never say never" with Chrysler but an exception would be extremely unlikely in this case for multiple reasons. #1, the head pipes shapes are different for each style so it wouldn't be a simple interchange, #2. I've seen very early castings of the 71 style drivers manifold (cast dated in March of 1970) which would allow for plenty of time to make it to the production floor for the beginning of the 71 model year production. There are other factors as well. There is an outside chance that a prototype or pilot car got 70 and earlier manifolds but again, highly unlikely.

Shane Kelley

nsmall

Orange car, orange engine. Sounds great to me.  I know you will make the right decision in the end as you are going the extra mile on this one.