Main Menu

26 inch radiator

Started by mopar jack, February 11, 2018, 06:56:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar jack

I think I am finally going to replace my 22 inch rad with a 26. I have the support piece adapter but don't want to tear into it that far. Thought I would cut and weld just the flange part on the pass side to widen the opening. What have you guys done to install a larger rad? Also did the drivers side mounting get moved? I am not dealing with an original car here so open to any mods. Thanks.

Cuda Cody

Are you using a stock 26" rad or an aftermarket? 

mopar jack

Good question Cody. Aftermarket. I'm researching rads from OER and U.S. Radiator. Trying to keep the stock profile, already have the 26 inch shroud. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

ToxicWolf

Check Glen-ray radiators too.  :thinking:

RUNCHARGER

Apparently the 26 uses the same mounting holes on one side. You can mount to those and just drill the other side and nut and bolt it if you don't want to change out the tin. It will still get enough air through to utilize the 26 inch core. I've never done but I guess it works.
Sheldon

GY3R/T

mopar jack

Runcharger that's one of my options. Some aftermarket suppliers provide a bracket to use the original holes on the  pass side. The 22 inch worked well so a 26 should be ok with the same opening.

mopar jack

Any recommendations for aftermarket radiators? I'll probably pass on a Glen Ray, a little pricey for a non original setup.

303 Mopar

I bought an OER 4 core from @MoparDave and it works great as well as maintains the stock look.  I have an aftermarket aluminum rad and could not stand seeing silver through the grille.

mopar jack

303 Mopar did you mount a shroud to the rad?

303 Mopar

HP_Cuda

Bought a 26' 4-row Champion awhile back and it runs ice cold.

I guess if I sat on a big meaty burnout for about 1/2 hour it might start getting warm.

:rofl:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

mopar jack

Any one using a U.S. Radiator? They are more expensive than OER and less than Glen Ray.

Mickm

Moparjack,
I replaced my 22" with an aluminum 26" from PRC. It has a built in shroud housing two fans and works awesome!
As for the modification, I did not want to restrict any air flow and since my care was already painted, I did not want to weld.
Something needs to be done there as just cutting the sheet metal panel will leave it too flimsy, so this was my approach.

First I measured and cut the passenger side opening to match the radiation's opening exactly as on the drivers side.

I then cut a piece of .75"x.75"x.125" angle and drilled and tap it 9 times. It attaches to the upper and lower boss of the original plate.  Using button head bolts I attached it to the remaining radiator crossmember sheet metal.

A little black paint, install the new radiator and it is almost undetectable.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Mickm

mopar jack

Mickm, don't blame you not wanting to start welding around finished paint. That's what has kept me form putting in a complete panel. I will probably cut it out like you did but use a fresh piece to lay over the cut with pre drilled holes and apply small spot/tack welds and hopefully do a good paint touch up.