Main Menu

Date code on rear valance? How about the hood?

Started by Rutro, February 13, 2018, 04:50:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rutro

I guess I've never paid attention to date codes on body panels. I have a rear valance with a 3 17 70 stamped in the license plate area. Is that really a date code? I know there codes on parts.
Please school me, I always like to learn something new every day. Thxs, Mark

js27

Yep they are date coded. My 70 Challenger also is stamped.
JS27

Rutro

Thanks JS27. That leads to my next question. Is there a date code on the hood? If so where?
The hood doesn't have the crumple zones. So I know it is 70-71.
Mark

anlauto

You find a lot of those stamped numbers through-out the entire car, some can be date codes, but some are also lot codes, stamping line codes, vendor codes etc....I worked in a stamping plant for 18 years and there would be no way to decipher the codes we stamped on each part. :alan2cents: we were a non-union tier one supplier and we even stamped "ford" on the parts to make customers believe their parts were actual made by Ford which was certainly not the case. :alan2cents:  :crazytalk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

198D13

Quote from: Rutro on February 15, 2018, 07:36:52 AM
Thanks JS27. That leads to my next question. Is there a date code on the hood? If so where?
The hood doesn't have the crumple zones. So I know it is 70-71.
Mark

The date code on the rear valence means it is an assembly line part. Over the counter NOS ones have no date, but a lot of additional numbers, and no spaces between the numbers. That is common on NOS parts.

js27

I never saw a date code on the hood but I never looked either. I will check it out and see what I can see or not see.
JS27