Main Menu

440 six pack carb stampings

Started by Lemontwist, May 06, 2018, 08:12:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Lemontwist

I see restored carbs (I.E the blue six pack car for sale) with a number of stampings on each carb. What do they represent. I'm not talking about the paper tags like what's on the pods but the rubber stamping such as 24, 33, etc. See attached
Drew

Cuda Cody

@ScottSmith_Harms  is most likely the smartest guy I know to answer questions about 6 pack carbs. 

RUNCHARGER

I agree: They all mean something I am sure and no markings is better than wrong markings.
Sheldon

ScottSmith_Harms

I also agree, they do mean something, some are inspection stampings from assemblers, some are date codes, part#s, and sorting numbers for inventory, etc. and some of them are still a mystery as to which purpose they served. When I restore them I use surviving stampings I find on original carburetors, I photograph them for my archives then have them scanned and duplicated so that I can replace them as accurately as possible, they varied from year to year and application to application (340 vs 440, etc.) it's a matter of deductive reasoning, research, and also a bit of guesswork.

Lemontwist

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on May 06, 2018, 10:04:11 AM
I also agree, they do mean something, some are inspection stampings from assemblers, some are date codes, part#s, and sorting numbers for inventory, etc. and some of them are still a mystery as to which purpose they served. When I restore them I use surviving stampings I find on original carburetors, I photograph them for my archives then have them scanned and duplicated so that I can replace them as accurately as possible, they varied from year to year and application to application (340 vs 440, etc.) it's a matter of deductive reasoning, research, and also a bit of guesswork.

I was just wondering because I see many cars that have marks, and stamps, and inspection markings on them that are just put on because they saw them in a magazine or someone else had them on their car
Drew