Main Menu

E body convertible rear view mirror question

Started by cudabin, August 08, 2022, 05:04:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudabin

I am aware that the convertible rear view mirror is suppose to be 1/4 to 3/8 inches longer than the hardtop rear view mirror. Can anyone provide me with an exact measurement or any other distinguishing features? It appears from the 1970 parts book the convertible mirror was a chrome finish. Was the 1971 mirror also chrome?

anlauto

Whoa...I've restored a half dozen or so E-Body convertibles and this is the first time I've heard this....man I love this site....learn something everyday  :brainiac: :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

Mirror in my 71. No chrome here.
Terry W.

cudabin

I should have been more specific..... it is the mirror stem that is different in length supposedly. See the following thread link. I know when I referenced the 1970 parts manual it lists a different part for a "27" as opposed to a "23".

https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-wanted/25/found-70-challenger-convertible-rearview-mirror-stem/14487/msg194418#msg194418

Cuda_mark

I think by "chrome" they mean that it is silver in color, no matter what the interior or body color is...like as shown in the pictures above. The convertible stem is a different part number and length than a hard top but it is the same for both 70 and 71. See attached pic from parts manual. PN 3508522 for 70 & 71

anlauto

According to what you just posted, the "stem" is NOT a different, or even a separate part number....the part number is for the "bracket & shaft" which make 100% sense, because a convertible mounting bracket is totally different than a hardtop one.

I see no evidence that a convertible E Body uses a different stem or shaft then a hardtop E Body  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

ragtopdodge

The stem is way different between hardtop and 'vert.  I know, I bought a nice replacement and didn't work.

I think the mirror itself maybe the same though.

However, the day/night lever maybe different in 1971.   1970 and a chrome (silver) lever that goes left/right, while later ones were that black plastic that you move toward/away from you.

anlauto

Quote from: ragtopdodge on August 09, 2022, 10:31:23 AM
The stem is way different between hardtop and 'vert.  I know, I bought a nice replacement and didn't work.

The mount is totally different, the stem itself is interchangeable :alan2cents:

cudabin

Thanks for the replies folks. There is no doubt the mounting bracket and base is different between hardtop and convertibles  and the lower mirror portion is the same but has anyone ever laid a known ht stem (shaft) next to a known convertible stem and noted any differences? It appears at a minimum they are possibly plated/painted differently according to the parts book. Is there any confirmation the information provided about the shaft length being slightly different in the link I have provided above is accurate? Looking for factual evidence, pics, etc. Thx