Main Menu

70 cuda grille kit from Van's. Anybody else use it?

Started by quapman, August 06, 2018, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

quapman

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362381432645

I just got one of these kits from Van's. Nice stuff, but the bolts are 1/4" too short to work. I had to suck it up and use it since the car they're going in has to ship soon. I ended up using two of the bolts in the center where the plastic washers are not used, but had to go with some longer screws I had for the other 8 places.

I asked Van's if their supplier offered longer bolts and their reply was "no that is the length they all come"

I followed up with asking if most customers re-use their old bolts, to which Van's replied "i couldnt tell you what everyone does"

I've never has an issue with Van's, but seriously, WTF?

Cuda Cody

I've always used Dave at Roseville and I'm always happy with the customer service.  Van's has good reviews too so maybe you just got the wrong guy on the wring day.  :notsure:

Challenger in NC

According to my fastener guide (for 70 barracuda) , those bolts should be just under an inch long. If those are truly incorrect, they need to alert the supplier and not keep passing the problem on to others. You expect some amount of inaccuracies with these hardware kits when it comes to markings, coloring, and shape, but at least get the length correct so you can use the damn thing.

anlauto

I've had the same issues with these 70 Cuda kits in general, I don't usually buy from Vans, so I don't think the problem is unique to them. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kathyscuda

there are plenty of orig grills out there .
saw a couple in Carlisle reasonably priced.

anlauto

Quote from: kathyscuda on August 07, 2018, 02:49:28 AM
there are plenty of orig grills out there .
saw a couple in Carlisle reasonably priced.

He's referring to the nuts/bolts to mount the grill, not the grill itself. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparDave

problem is that the swr/vans kit. they use the spin washer bolt that are for the dash to cowl mounting and are short. I refuse to sell that kit as that is a known issue. the kit we have the bolts are 7/8 thread length, mind you this kit doesn't come with the head lamp bezel hardware as this is the grille center only kit..
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Cuda_mark

Quote from: MoparDave on August 07, 2018, 05:23:18 AM
problem is that the swr/vans kit. they use the spin washer bolt that are for the dash to cowl mounting and are short. I refuse to sell that kit as that is a known issue. the kit we have the bolts are 7/8 thread length, mind you this kit doesn't come with the head lamp bezel hardware as this is the grille center only kit..

And that's why people go to Dave at Roseville....attention to detail at the supplier benefits the consumer!

quapman

Dave, your bolts are the right length, but do not have the correct captive washer. Are the longer 10-24 bolts with washer and dog point even made any more?

edison1970

Correct me if I'm wrong but I had the same problem with the bolts being too short.  What I found when I compared the new one to an original I found the original had a tapper to the end of the bolt.  The new one also had the tapper but was thinner at the end so it wouldn't catch the threads in the nut.  I still might have some of the bolts.  I'll see if I can come up with them to show.

MoparDave

Quote from: quapman on August 07, 2018, 05:04:10 PM
Dave, your bolts are the right length, but do not have the correct captive washer. Are the longer 10-24 bolts with washer and dog point even made any more?

Steve. this is what is currently available.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

quapman