Main Menu

70 Cuda sealing up doors and rear armrest areas

Started by CamasCuda, March 30, 2017, 02:49:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CamasCuda

Moving along nicely in the re assembly process of 70 AAR, thanks to many for helping. ready to close up the door panels and the rear seat arm rest panels.  In the tear down, I notice behind the rear armrest panels shaped sheet of plastics were used (I think the manual calls them wind blocks), with putty, to seal off between interior sheet metal and the rear seat arm rest panels.  I found nothing behind the door panels, and did not notice anything in the manual.  QUESTION:  should there be in both places (really all four places) ?

Cuda Cody

Hey Bob!!!!  So glad you found us buddy!   :slapme5:   I've seen @CamasCuda  AAR in person and it's really nice!  Can't wait to see it on the road.  Maybe we'll hit Beaches this summer?

As for the seal, yes there is a plastic piece that goes over the openings.  You can see a photo in Alan's build thread (page 9) that shows a good shot of what it looks like.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project/10/a-g-a-r-reassembly-time-day-ten/1048/120

Cuda Cody

Here's @anlauto  photo.  Not sure what he uses for the seal, but I've had goo luck using the White Rope Caulk stuff @71TA  sells (http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/)  They have it on their ebay site too:

[ebay]290950111648[/ebay]

They sold me a big roll of it and I use it on a few things like the door vapor barriers.

cataclysm80

If you still have the old plastic sheeting that you removed from behind the rear panels, please contact Jim at Detroit Muscle Technologies.  Last I spoke with him, he was looking for originals to use as patterns so that he could start offering reproductions.  He'll probably pay you for them or something.

Anyone else, if you still have originals, let Jim know.  He's a stickler for details, so he'll probably want them from several different years of cars to check for differences so that he can offer the correct stuff for each year.

Cuda Cody

I can't recall if I've ever spoke to him on the phone, but I've used a TON of the products that @71TA  sells and I've always been impressive with the quality.  Nobody or business is perfect all the time, but they sure do try hard to get as close to perfect as possible.   :yes:  I've never had a single issue with anything they have made.  Always top quality stuff.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 30, 2017, 03:20:28 PM

Anyone else, if you still have originals, let Jim know.  He's a stickler for details, so he'll probably want them from several different years of cars to check for differences so that he can offer the correct stuff for each year.

Timbbuc2

I would be interested in buying a set. Hope he gets a template.
Get in, I'll drive

Spikedog08

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on March 30, 2017, 03:41:33 PM

I think I will just cut my own . . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 30, 2017, 03:25:33 PM
I can't recall if I've ever spoke to him on the phone, but I've used a TON of the products that @71TA  sells and I've always been impressive with the quality.  Nobody or business is perfect all the time, but they sure do try hard to get as close to perfect as possible.   :yes:  I've never had a single issue with anything they have made.  Always top quality stuff.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 30, 2017, 03:20:28 PM

I've supplied Jim with tail lights for a 70 Challenger, a 69 Road Runner & a 68 Coronet when he was first starting up up & later a few under body shields.. He laser scans stuff & basically reverse engineers allot of his parts.... He truly cares about getting every detail as correct as possible... If theres something you need that he doesn't supply currently contact him, he always needs ideas & patterns, for loaning him my parts years ago he provided me with some of his first reproductions of the gaskets for those tail lights.... Great guy who makes a very high quality product.... 

CamasCuda

Thanks,  sorry it took so long. for some reason the I wasn't sure it went live.   regarding the feedback its great help.   i'll go look in the crawl space to see if I kept the visqueen like plastic. 

CamasCuda

thanks for your help.  not sure if I kept the old "visqueen" like plastic.  I recall it was in several pieces, but maybe that speaks to it might be original.  I'll look tonight.    I swore I took a photo of the placement before removing it, i'll look for that too.  Bob

anlauto

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on March 30, 2017, 03:41:33 PM

Pretty sure Performance Car Graphics sells them.

I make my own....Never knew Jim was looking for them, I have a few originals kicking around that I use for templates  :takealook:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 30, 2017, 03:45:49 PM
I think I will just cut my own . . .  :dunno:

I made my own also, but I know they're not like original.
I used a heavy duty greenhouse plastic which is not quite like original, and I didn't have originals to use as patterns, so mine aren't shaped like original.  I attached mine with butyl rubber that was leftover from the glass installation, and that's not like original either.
Mine work quite well and didn't cost much, but there's a place for a product which is more correct and easier to install due to being precut.

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on March 30, 2017, 06:22:02 PM
Pretty sure Performance Car Graphics sells them.
I make my own....Never knew Jim was looking for them, I have a few originals kicking around that I use for templates  :takealook:

I've noticed that many cars are missing them entirely, from previous owners removing them and not bothering to reinstall them.  As a result, it seems that a lot of people aren't even aware this part exists, and finding an original to use as a pattern can be difficult.

Performance Car Graphics does offer these.  I'm not familiar with the ones they make or how accurate they are.

I'd like to see what Detroit Muscle Technologies can come up with.  Jim already supplies the stuff to attach them, and these fit in well with the other products he offers.

Aar1064

I've bought quite a few items from Jim and he is spot on with his products and a great guy. I'm sure he'd jump on the chance to take a look at originals and start offering them.

Good luck on the AAR restoration.

CamasCuda

Folks, went into the crawl space this weekend, bringing upstairs the door panels.  Sorry, but no plastic "wind covers" to be found.