Main Menu

70 Vin # Location

Started by js27, August 31, 2021, 11:47:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

On a 70 Challenger R/T The Vin was stamped on the Driver side cowl and the driver side rad. support as well as the door sticker and Dash and fender tag. Was it ever stamped on the trunk rail ?? I do not think it was but want to double check with you experts. I know in 67 B bodies it was not unless it was a LA Calif built car then it was. How about 70 Challengers ?
Thanks
JS27

anlauto

Nope never on the trunk rail of an E Body in my opinion :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

318Stroker

Correct. No trunk rail stamps on an E-body.

RzeroB

A little bit off topic, but I always thought stamping it on the radiator support was a dumb idea as it's an area that is prone to getting smashed. Dumb, just like early 60's B-bodies which had the SO number stamped on rear box section that the rear bumper brackets bolted to. To me, a much better location would have been like on the back of the rear seat "X" brace or underside of the package tray which still could have been easily accessed through the trunk for verification. Just saying ...  :alan2cents:   
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

js27

Quote from: RzeroB on August 31, 2021, 01:09:46 PM
A little bit off topic, but I always thought stamping it on the radiator support was a dumb idea as it's an area that is prone to getting smashed. Dumb, just like early 60's B-bodies which had the SO number stamped on rear box section that the rear bumper brackets bolted to. To me, a much better location would have been like on the back of the rear seat "X" brace or underside of the package tray which still could have been easily accessed through the trunk for verification. Just saying ...  :alan2cents:

Very good point. I have owned 7---67 b bodies. You have to pull the rear bumper off to verify those numbers. A bit of a pain. If the car gets rear ended and needs have that section replaced your number is gone. Especially if it was done back in the day when nobody knew or cared about these numbers. Same with the Rad. support. Truly amazing that as many cars kept their numbers in tacked.
JS27

Filthy Filbert

my radiator support has a nice hole drilled through one of the numbers on mine.   at least you can read the B0 and 5 of the 6 sequence numbers.

Would have been nice if that number was stamped on the cowl/firewall, or trans tunnel or something like that.

Anyone know why the did stamp the number into the cars back then? was it an anti-theft/tracking tool, or is that just a side benefit and the real reason was some other production related reason?

RzeroB

IIRC secondary VIN stamps were mandated by the insurance industry to aid in theft identification and recovery.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)