Main Menu

72-74 Challengers/Cudas vs. 71-74 Chargers

Started by DodgeGuy, June 10, 2018, 10:55:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

DodgeGuy

First of all, as a Mopar guy, a Mopar is a Mopar, and I love them all.  I'm not starting this thread to ask which is "better" than the other, which is too subjective anyway.

Yesterday as I browsed Craigslist and numerous other car selling websites, looking for Classic Mopars, I noticed how it just seemed that all things being equal, the Challenger/Cuda seemed to be more expensive than it's Charger counterpart for those years (72-74, more or less). 

For example, it just seemed like a 1973 Dodge Challenger that was basically in the same condition, with similar engines under the hood, options, etc. as a 1973 Dodge Charger would be around 4-5,000 dollars more expensive.

Are the 1971-1974 Dodge Chargers, with their redesigned body styles from the 1968-1970, just not as desirable in the classic car/Mopar world?

Or was it just coincidence
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

RUNCHARGER

Nope: What you have observed is real. The 71 and later B-bodies are not as desirable as an E-body. There are some of us that absolutely love the 71-72 B-bodies and they are great cars but the value is lower (thankfully) than E-bodies. It makes obtaining one a lot easier.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Warning . While I totally agree the Charger is under valued by comparison ,the 71-72 Charger is an awesome buy just never plan to sell it , I could not give mine away & could have parted it out for more $$ than I sold it for & it was rust free & completely restored .
The 73-74 Charger is a very different car from the E body or earlier Chargers , they changed / screwed up everything , almost no parts interchange , the body lines are completely different , they went to isolated K frame dropped the 8 3/4 diff .
Personally my fav Charger is the 71 & would not even look at a 73-74

ledphoot

I love some of the 71-72 B-Bodies. I'd love to have a plum crazy 71 GTX or RoadRunner.

There are some things I like better about them than the e-bodies. Their style is just as timeless as far as I am concerned.

chargerdon

I bought a 72 Charger SE new back in spring of 72.   It was a 318/auto in b5 blue with matching blue vinyl interior console PS, PB, Air...   Loved that car...   Wish i still owned it.   

I do now have a 66 Charger and it is truely unique and restored a 74 Challenger Plum Crazy 360 auto and air.   Love both of them.. 

The 72 was definitely the smoother cruising car......   

Chryco Psycho

I wish I had my 71 back , just like an ebody just a little bigger & more aerodynamic by far .
Not that I would have it with me here even if I did still own it nut great memories for sure

DodgeGuy

Well, at least now I know I wasn't crazy...lol.

I personally like the look of the 71-74 Chargers...I had a '73 Charger back when I was 17. 

I didn't realize the 71-72 were different from the 73-74.

Good stuff guys!!
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

RUNCHARGER

This was my last one. Totally matching #'s Hemi R/T. This car hauled well for a stock Hemi and was the best driving Muscle Mopar I've ever owned. Dead quiet, no squeeks no rattles, no wind noise. I love the styling of the 71 Runners and Chargers. The other photo is the last 71 Runner I had as well. I like the 68-70 B-bodies but they just don't have as much to offer as the 71 cars.
Sheldon

DodgeGuy

360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

MoparDave

of the cars in that range. The only real car that would or could pull any more money would be the 71 B body.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

RUNCHARGER

Yes 72 Runners draw a bit of heat, 72 Rallye Chargers hold a bit of interest and 3-4 Runners hold a bit of interest. 71's are where it's at because of the crazy option availability, last year of the high compression engines etc.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 14, 2018, 08:07:04 AM
Yes 72 Runners draw a bit of heat, 72 Rallye Chargers hold a bit of interest and 3-4 Runners hold a bit of interest. 71's are where it's at because of the crazy option availability, last year of the high compression engines etc.
Quote from: MoparDave on June 14, 2018, 07:15:57 AM
of the cars in that range. The only real car that would or could pull any more money would be the 71 B body.

:iagree: Case in point - https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1971-dodge-charger-rt-440-6-pac-v-code-mr-norms-car.153631/