Main Menu

What’s your maintenance program

Started by blown motor, July 11, 2022, 06:28:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

In the last month I've had a brake shoe lining come off the shoe and the alternator bearing go out on a car that has been trouble free for the last ten years. It got me wondering what kind of a maintenance program people run. Do you just replace alternator, fuel pump, power steering pump, water pump, brakes, thermostat, etc. as a way of preventing breakdowns on the road? A bit of money for sure. Just wondered what everyone does.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Dmod1974

For stuff like that, it's fix as fail for me.  The quality of aftermarket or 30x remanned parts these days is so poor that you may inadvertently cause a failure replacing a perfectly good part with subpar crap.  I've been bit by this several times with anything from car parts to appliance parts.  Most recently - I replaced a 12 year old A/C capacitor on my house HVAC worried about having a failure during a heatwave.  Not a week later, we have one and my brand new cap failed.  It was a miserable 2 days until the replacement came in, and you better believe I bought 2 this time to have a spare on hand at all times.

Blowout

:iagree: and same happened with me on my A/C.

Brads70

I have some spare parts always on hand if I'm going on a long road trip. Eg. spare alternator, electric fuel pump, With having 2 cars I make sure both use the same parts when ever possible, so I only have to have 1 spare that fits both cars. EG both the Challenger and the Javelin use the same alternator, power steering pump, MSD box etc...

Rich G.

torredcuda

Mine only gets driven 1-2000 miles a year so other than oil changes and giving it a quick look over once in a while it`s fix if it breaks. In 27 years of driving it since "restored" it`s only had three real issues - one was a broken engine mount at the track after a hard launch, second was a starter relay gone bad and third was an intermitant no start that turned out to be a bad distributor pick up. I drove home nice and easy after the torn engine monut, relay was a quick screw driver jump to start. The car would star after cooling sown with the bad pick up but one time I did call a tow truck after waiting a while and it wouldn`t fire but of course by the time it arrived it fired right up. I did take the tow even though it was only across town as he was already there. I do carry a spare ballast resistor, some fuses and a few basic tools but rarely need them.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

We'll I'm not sure. That's what I was doing. If I had of done as I suggested in the first post I would have avoided two breakdowns, both over 150 miles from home and both which would have required a tow except that I was at my fiancée's for one of them.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

I figure as time goes on parts will not be as plentiful. It never hurts to have a milk crate with spare parts in the trunk while going on a longer trip? Likely you will need them at some point. But yes I agree if it's not broke don't fix it.