Main Menu

73 challenger jack

Started by fireguyfire, March 11, 2019, 04:26:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Cleaned out all of the junk out of the trunk of my new 73 Challenger, and found the tire iron and jack assembly; I'm assuming they are original.
I plan on bead blasting and painting the parts, and I have a couple of questions regarding the finish.
1) what is the recommended sheen on the black jack parts, and tire iron?

2) as you can see in the photo there is some rust on the jack shaft; is there a recommended paint for the jack channel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireguyfire

[emoji106]

fireguyfire

So would a black base and mechanism be correct for a 73 challenger?
I'm pretty sure it's original.
We're the tire irons always black even if the jack was grey?

Chryco Psycho

Burdar is the guy for the later year details but yes  lug nut wrench should be black

7212Mopar

I don't think that is a 73 jack. I had a 72 and now a 73. Both do not have that hook piece. Have you tried on your bumper? The jack mechanism and base plate is battleship grey and shaft may be some kind of yellow chromate.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Burdar

That's not the correct jack.  Late in 71 production, the factory changed to bumpers with a slot in them.  The new bumpers didn't require a separate jack hook.  For 73, the mechanism and base are painted gray.  The wrench is still black.  The hollow tube style jack masts were zinc dichromate plated.(yellow/gold zinc)

Burdar

That round piece at the top of your picture almost looks like an A-body part.  My Dart uses something similar to hold the spare tire cover in place.  Maybe that whole setup is for an A-body.  If you post the part # on the hook, someone will be able to tell you what it's for.

fireguyfire

Thanks for the info gents; I guess my hunt for a proper jack and base plate begins!!!

fireguyfire

Does my tire lug nut wrench look correct?

fireguyfire

One more question; sorry to be a pain.
Can someone post a picture of how the jack base is stored originally so I can make sure I restore the trunk correctly?

fireguyfire

Is there any way to simulate that zinc/gold dichromate finish on the mast?

7212Mopar

There is a threaded rod attached to the trunk pan. Rod goes through the wheel tire center and jack base on top. The whole thing is tighten with a big wing nut. The wing nut and rod are reproductions and available. Check eBay for jack and jack base. Do you still have the jacking instruction sticker under the trunk lid?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

fireguyfire

Yes, the fractal is there as well as the threaded rod; I don't have the wing nut or a spare tire

Burdar

If you have an electroplating business in your area, ask them how much it would cost to run that mast through the line.  That's what I did on mine.  I chemically removed the plating and rust my self.  I gave the shop a clean, rust free mast so all they had to do was dip it.   

fireguyfire

Great advice!
So what exactly is the playing called that I'm after?
And I'm assuming that means it's easy to get the jack part off of the mast itself?